Help with grub screw location

john998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Grub screw

Hello Sam,
have you had some one with a twisted sense of humour in your work shop?
It could be worse it could have been a gudgeon pin circlip.
Regards John.

nvshadow

Forum User
VOC Member
grub screw

Hi John, that would be worse! But, I seem to remember (real or imagined) from 18mths ago when I took the engine apart, that I took a grub screw out of somewhere (not the oil galleries) inside the cases. I'd better not think about it too hard or other extra parts might start appearing. Kevin pointed out that the parts list does not include a 1/4 screw, but the parts box does and Russ suggested looking under the crankcase - that one is in place. Sam.

piggywig

Non-VOC Member
Grub screw

Sam,
You have had all the sensible suggestions, so perhaps you need to check the frame of the eye-glasses, usually a couple there..................:rolleyes:

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Not connected with with the present dilemma but I recall a story told to me by the late and greatly missed Alan Rennie. When a new fitter joined the team on engine assembly at the Works it was a favourite prank to craftily lay a spare mainshaft bearing spacer on his workbench, wander nonchalently by a few minutes later, pick it up and ask "Did you leave that out?" !:)

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
grubby screws

years ago one of the well known restorers of vincents had the habit of drilling two small holes through the walls of the gear box to expidite the removal of the main gear box bearing[the one behind the the gear box sprocket], the holes where then filled with two small grub screws. Could yor engine be one of these engines? How do I know about this, easy, we have one our self.
Many thanks to all who answered my question on norton gear boxes, Iam going to wait untill the next auto jumble at Nettly marsh to what I can find.
cheers norm:cool:

nvshadow

Forum User
VOC Member
grub screw

Hi Norm, that is a good suggestion and ties in with what I remember from the dismantling. It almost needs me to take it all apart again! Sam.