Misc: Carburettors Help with Carburettors: Advice Please

kerry

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Look really nice, very impressive, I am going to talk Steve Wheeler as suggested, my carbs are Shadow ones, really appreciate everyone's help on this
thought the Wassell copies were getting good reviews.
I did not know they were doing them, I had a Wassel seat for a Triumph and it was very poor but maybe their carbs are good ?

kerry

VOC Member
The pre monoblock carbs when worn out tend to have beaten the two rails on the jet block considerably as well as the tracks in the slide, sleeving and new slides solves 1/2 the issue, but new jet blocks are the other 1/2, at this point new ones from Burlen are the answer. You didn't say whether they are 1 1/6 or 1 1/8 (Rapide or Shadow) they are quite different in cost, or at least they used to be.
Mine are 1 1/8",over £1000 new, I am going to talk Steve Wheeler as suggested, really appreciate everyone's help on this, but maybe sleeving new slides and jet blocks is the answer.

kerry

VOC Member
The pre monoblock carbs when worn out tend to have beaten the two rails on the jet block considerably as well as the tracks in the slide, sleeving and new slides solves 1/2 the issue, but new jet blocks are the other 1/2, at this point new ones from Burlen are the answer. You didn't say whether they are 1 1/6 or 1 1/8 (Rapide or Shadow) they are quite different in cost, or at least they used to be.
Mine are 1 1/8",over £1000 new, I am going to talk Steve Wheeler as suggested, really appreciate everyone's help on this, but maybe sleeving new slides and jet blocks is the answer.

Normski

Non-VOC Member
Martin Bratby is often mentioned for carb repair/ resleeving- is he still going?

kerry

VOC Member
I think it was him that done mine in 1991, just googled him and yes he still does them. thanks.

kerry

VOC Member
Totally agree, as I said earlier I had a Triumph seat and it was pretty poor.

kerry

VOC Member
Yes correct well spotted I did not think they would copy pre monobloc's, I have now taken off the filters and the Mark 2 Amals don't look quite as bad now so may wait until Autumn/Winter before changing them.

Last edited by a moderator: