F: Frame Help required measuring coil lengths on AVO coil over rear dampers.

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The top spring retainer is about 1.86" diameter. The body, and hence the inner diameter of the adjusting ring, is about 1.67" diameter. The adjuster will not pass over the top retainer.
Edit; I just went back and read your, MVH, posting. It is not the eye at the top of the damper which is the problem. It is the circular plate below that which acts as a restrainer for the top spring restrainer.

Last edited:

hadronuk

VOC Member
Hi All, BigEd mentioned this discussion so I thought I would have a look in.
I'm very busy with non motorcycling matters so I seldom visit the Forum these days.
There's not a lot I can add.
Timetraveller is doing an excellent job!
Sorry to hear of your stripped thread problem Greg, that is very unlucky, and as AVO have said, I'm not aware of it happening before.
As has also been said, the only way to replace the ring is to dismantle the damper. It is possible to diy, but I would strongly advise against this as though they are not pressurized, they are very tricky to re-assemble.
Regarding the top mount, prior to the coilovers, damper top mounts were simply screwed on as per the original Vincent dampers. When we were developing the coilover, AVO insisted tops should also be welded on for safety. In retrospect, they were quite right!
Looking at my spare coilover, the top is fully welded on, not just tacked, so I think trying to grind off the weld and unscrew the top would probably not succeed.
I have had no reason to be in contact with AVO for quite a while, but the last time I asked, the full rebuild cost seemed very reasonable to me.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Gentlemen, some of you may recall that I asked for some measurments to be taken of the length of the rear spring with the bike on its rear stand and just the bike (twins only at this stage) and then with a rider of known weight. There has only been one useful response.. Chris Launders and I are trying to create a look-up table to help others. Anyone out there who can help?

vibrac

VOC Member
I have just hung the RFM back on my latest iteration of the road Comet and its sitting on the Dave Hills stand it will be a week or so before I can sit on it, but I will repeat it is the sweetest handling Vincent I have ever ridden . Bear in mind it has Bramptons with a front coil over as well which may account for a lot of that praise.
when I give you the riders weight I had better give you the bikes weight as well as both have had lot of weight reduction ( eg: just taken out a rear brake drum)
static data
spring length 7" between collars and .380" spring wire dia

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
Gentlemen, some of you may recall that I asked for some measurments to be taken of the length of the rear spring with the bike on its rear stand and just the bike (twins only at this stage) and then with a rider of known weight. There has only been one useful response.. Chris Launders and I are trying to create a look-up table to help others. Anyone out there who can help?
Sorry I havent done it yet. I dont feel like taking my bike off the stand because I have an injured foot. The results will be very usefull to me. I am not even in the same country as my bike right now and when I get home my bike will be living in a different house than me. I will get it measured in a few weeks.

timetraveller

VOC Member
HI Tim, Thanks for the offer. I don't think that the removal of a rear brake will make any difference, That is unspring weight. Also, at the moment we woiuld like to deal with just twins although details for Comets might come in useful in the future.. I think the Comet is about 65 lbs lighter than the twins and that has to be all in the engine gearbox parts as all the cycle parts are the same so maybe we could use that measurement as a check.

Bradley Burt

Non-VOC Member
The standard spring is 275 lbs/inch. the length from the bottom of the preload ring to the top of the top aluminium ring is 8.55". There are 10 coils with a gap beween the coils of .497", measured at right angles to the wire, not along the length of the damper. Wire diameter is 0.385". Fully sprung seat of course.
The springs are available in 25 lbs/inch steps, 275, 300, 325 etc. Thank you.
What is the total length of the shock? Distance between the centres of the mounting holes.
Thank you,
Brad.