Help needed

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Belt drives

80 bhp 900cc Weslake race bikes use a 1" belt and Newby clutch so yes, a 3" belt should be OK.
Hi Roy,
I was going to stick with the kick start (proper biking and all that), I'm using a 3" open belt primary and clutch from BDL, should be good enough, I hope.

Take care out there

Paul

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
puddle jumper/ H-D tranny

Been thinking about you proposed hybrid, this is going to be a very weird chassis to accomplish. The h-d trans has horizontal mounts The vin has vertical mounts, at least at the front, lord knows what's left at the rear of the motor! Be very aware of the difference in width between the two very different motor widths. The h-d is very "skinny" compared to the vin. I hope i'm wrong ,but can't help feeling that a world of pain exists with chain alignment/belt alignment .Despite the doom+ gloom I would wish you good fortune+ love to see it completed, you will be in line for one of my mum's putty medals! Best wishes,Roy.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Vin - har!!

I'm not building one, but I know a man who is. You are correct, it has proved to be a monstrous job for exactly the reasons you cite. The "RFM" has had to be fabricated from scratch. Doubtless more grief awaits...
Been thinking about you proposed hybrid, this is going to be a very weird chassis to accomplish. The h-d trans has horizontal mounts The vin has vertical mounts, at least at the front, lord knows what's left at the rear of the motor! Be very aware of the difference in width between the two very different motor widths. The h-d is very "skinny" compared to the vin. I hope i'm wrong ,but can't help feeling that a world of pain exists with chain alignment/belt alignment .Despite the doom+ gloom I would wish you good fortune+ love to see it completed, you will be in line for one of my mum's putty medals! Best wishes,Roy.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
puddle jumper hybrid

Hi, just seen the pics, looks real good to me! There will be some negative feed-back. remember the t shirt slogan- DILLIGAF. More pics when painted etc, Please. Best wishes Roy.