Help needed

Puddle jumper

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi,
Can any one help me trace some of the history on an HRD engine which I am using in a custom built frame.
The Engine number is F010 AB/1/149, the only details I have are that it has had the gearbox removed (with a hacksaw!!!!) :(, For what reason I do not know, (this information would be useful).
The engine also has a small black plate riveted to the timing cover,
this plate is marked up as a Mod List and numbered 1 to 25.
The previos owner had it in an Austin 7 with a straight cut MG gearbox :D, but he brought the engine with the HRD gearbox already removed. This was about 50 years ago and it spent the last 48 years in a shed.
Any help with any history or why it had the gearbox removed would be helpfull,
Cheers Paul

Puddle jumper

Non-VOC Member
Gearbox

Thanks, do you know what gearbox would have been used?,
I am using an old Harley shovel 4 speed kick start box with a 3" open belt primary drive, I think it should be able to handle the power.
Cheers

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Chopped engines were often used in kneeler racing outfits-but fifty years ago? Seems doubtful. Austin Seven with a HRD engine? Very strange,I'd like to see a picture!:confused:

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Puddle Jumper/ gearbox

H-d tranny will be strong enough! I run a shovel myself. You can fit a reliable H-D electric foot if you desire. I would advise fitting kevlar clutch plates if utilising H-D unit- fitted to mine many years ago, they are the dog's b-----s! Be lucky .

Puddle jumper

Non-VOC Member
Hi Roy,
I was going to stick with the kick start (proper biking and all that), I'm using a 3" open belt primary and clutch from BDL, should be good enough, I hope.

Take care out there

Paul