HELP needed pre buying a VINCENT RAPIDE C

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I took a chance in 2003 and bought a "rider's bike"from Australia that was advertised in Flogger's corner, MPH. It had many variations from the original. I have added a few more mods in the interest of safety, self cancelling indicators, bright headlight, Alton, permanent luggage rack and big Craven top box with indicators and brake light, electronic "chronometric" Smiths tach. The previous owner sent along the original clutch (Vee Two in there now) and the original rear struts ( fully suspended seat now) but I have no interest in reverting back. I have ridden the bike 500 miles per day many times solo and generally we do 300 to 350 when two up. 40,000 on it now and it has been a really great bike.
The price was reasonable as the bike is nonmatching.
Many people want to own a Vincent because they are expensive and that automatically makes them a status symbol. I have chatted with people in this camp, and they are almost revulsed at the prospect of owning a non matching Vincent.
If you just want to ride a Vincent, as I do, then the matching numbers and originality don't mean muchh

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
, however a bike that pulls hard when on a steep mountain grade, shifts well and has a good clutch even when hot and stuck in slow moving city traffic and starts easily every time, soon becomes like an old friend.

Glen

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Thank you for the link,I was not aware what VOC spares company is founded by club and they sell VOC members motorcycles on their behalf.

Would it be the best place for me to get in touch with them and wait for a genuine motorcycle to come along?

Tomas,
If you are not aware of it by now, also watch:

http://www.thevincent.com/

As new ads are placed there frequently enough to check in every day.

Ron

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Many people want to own a Vincent because they are expensive and that automatically makes them a status symbol. I have chatted with people in this camp, and they are almost revulsed at the prospect of owning a non matching Vincent.
If you just want to ride a Vincent, as I do, then the matching numbers and originality don't mean muchh

Matching numbers don't make them run any better. Matching numbers are just icing on the cake to my mind. I'm fortunate in that both of my Vincents are matching numbers bikes. I don't give a fig if the numbers on someones bike match or not. When my father bought the Shadow in '78 he only cared that the numbers on the bike matched the numbers on the title. When I bought the Comet I don't think I even asked or Lanivets in Cornwall even mentioned if it was a matching numbers bike. The only number I cared about was the price. I suppose if I ever get fortunate enough to buy another or unfortunate enough to need to sell then I might care, a little. But until then.......let's ride!
Steven

Tomas

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thank you all for all the suggestions and opinions on the Vincent motorcycles.I will take my time and will keep looking.I agree about the numbers,if you want to ride and enjoy the bike numbers do not make any difference.

I was offered that Rapide by the phone,was told what it is 90% original (was not aware what it was advertised on ebay till one of the forum members send me the link).

When I opened the link it was clear about the bike.

Albervin

VOC Member
I would not expect to be able to buy one for £10k, that's got to be the bargain of the century !
There are many better buys out there other than the one on ebay and would agree in that the spares company would be a good place to start if you are not in a hurry.

Often Vincent's which are mechanically good have been well used by their owners who over the years were more interested in riding than maintaining originality hence many cycle parts were upgraded or replaced with modern components when worn out. Typically headlights, ammeters, tail lights, dip switches, control levers etc.

For a Series C these can still be found from time to time on ebay so would not bother too much about them if some are missing. Better to concentrate on getting a mechanically sound bike in my opinion. I have seen and heard of a few sparkling jewels which looked fantastic but required a lot of money spent if you actually wanted to ride them!
Rob, he said his brother bought a bike for £10,000 less than the one advertised so he paid £36,000 for it.

wayalandbike

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello,

I am new to the forum and UK is not my home country,I do apologize for my bad spelling,english is my secondary language.

I am in process of purchasing the Vincent motorcycle,I have done some reading in various internet websites,forums & vincent books,over the last year seen several Vincents ( during the wievings some Vincent owners helped me in the past,but none of the motorcycles I have seen were in good order in terms of originality and correct parts fitted)

I was currently offered a Vincent Rapide C 1st registered in 1952 ,registration number SFC 176 (by owned before by David Cram from Thetford,I believe David was and VOC member,maybe someone new him or has any information about this this bike,the bike numbers are :

Frame number front and rear RC10373/C
Engine number F10AB/1/8473
Crankcase mating numbers both sides ZZ38

This rapide is not standart specification,it is fitted with shadow ribbed brakes all round, 10 hole shadow rear hub,shadow clock.

Would really appreciate if anyone does have some information regarding this pecticular motorcycle located in the UK.

Thank you kindly
Tomas
Hello Tomas David Cram here i was the previous owner of the Vincent having bought it from Colin Pavitts widow Unfortunately due to a divorce i was forced to sell the machine to a dealer. Not through choice Len Matthews was familiar with the machine. Prior to its sale the bike had been fitted with two new cylinder and pistons and had the heads completely overhauled by Maugns along with two carbs and a supposed rebuilt magneto and due to circumstances had not been used after so was not even run in This was a few years ago. The bike was as bought by myself apart from the works done Ibelieve i fitted a centre stand kit on it as well if my memory is good