Help needed for Comet lubricants

pcavallo

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have searched for some recent post about which lubricants use for my Comet, but I haven't found one.
Could please someone tell me if there is a post with these information?
Or, if there is not one, can someone please suggest me which lubricants to use? (quantity and type)
I have looked into "Know thy beast", the "Riders manual" etc. but I would be more happy with up-to-date information, maybe there is some recent product that is better.
Thanks to all, and, please, ride safely and book for VOC Italia 2015!!!
:)
Pierpaolo Cavallo

Albervin

VOC Member
Pierpaolo, the only variation between a single and twin is the gearbox. Use a "liquid grease" such as Penrite semi fluid grease or similar. Without having a copy close to hand I think Richardson has a list of
lubricants for various models in the appendix. You can't go far wrong by using a 20-50W oil for classic machines and changing it every year of 5,000 miles. I use a lithium grease in my wheel bearings and a
waterproof marine grease in the RFM bearings and spindles. As usual there will be dozens of other answers but most will be correct and it comes down to choice and budget.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
If available then purchase Valvoline Racing 20 / 50 . Superb and having an anti friction package it eliminates wear on cams and followers . Used it for many decades , all Vincent's we built or raced . Sid .

clevtrev

VOC Member
I have searched for some recent post about which lubricants use for my Comet, but I haven't found one.
Could please someone tell me if there is a post with these information?
Or, if there is not one, can someone please suggest me which lubricants to use? (quantity and type)
I have looked into "Know thy beast", the "Riders manual" etc. but I would be more happy with up-to-date information, maybe there is some recent product that is better.
Thanks to all, and, please, ride safely and book for VOC Italia 2015!!!
:)
Pierpaolo Cavallo
Why not try a drop of Extra Virgin, with some ZX1 added. Should be easy to obtain in your neck of the woods.:D

vibrac

VOC Member
knowing it upsets some people :)
I am managing to stay silent like the R in feathered....

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes I roll my Rs when they have done a couple of races they get put in the road bike

Howard

VOC Member
Does anyone use "real" oil in a Comet gearbox? With my background with industrial gearboxes, semi-fluid grease is 19th Century technology for water wheels and steam engines. Even mineral oil has been replaced with Castrol R, oops no that's wrong :) , with synthetic gear oil. Industrial gearboxes now have different selection charts for using mineral oil and synthetic, because the gear efficiency is so much higher with synth.

I'm about to strip and refurb my Comet gearbox, why shouldn't I use synthetic oil???

H