Help needed for Comet lubricants

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anyone use "real" oil in a Comet gearbox? With my background with industrial gearboxes, semi-fluid grease is 19th Century technology for water wheels and steam engines. Even mineral oil has been replaced with Castrol R, oops no that's wrong :) , with synthetic gear oil. Industrial gearboxes now have different selection charts for using mineral oil and synthetic, because the gear efficiency is so much higher with synth.

I'm about to strip and refurb my Comet gearbox, why shouldn't I use synthetic oil???

H

Dribble dribble drip drip weep weep
or a lot of advice here on where to stuff oil seals.....

Howard

VOC Member
Dribble dribble drip drip weep weep
or a lot of advice here on where to stuff oil seals.....

Ahhhhh! The English motorcycle disease. Mine leaks the thick stuff, I'll have to look through the threads and adapt to suit (or give up and put more witches porridge in.

H

nkt267

VOC Member
I use Morris 140 grade straight cut gear oil.The only problem is filling up in the winter,keep a pair of scissors handy to stop the flow..John

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
On Burman gearbox lubrication lore . Early ones were often called grease boxes , as that's what they were filled with , mostly .
Little sealing attempts existed , ancient now anyway . This hastens wear as the thick stuff cant reach where it's needed as it didn't flow . Many savvy owners after a good flush out would put in a small quantity of fairly soft grease and follow that with Hypoid 90 to the normal level . The liquid 90 wt. moves the grease around and this leaks out slowly for a while , moving the stiffer grease to those escape points where it acts to seal off those
small voids along worn bushings and loose shafts . The actual lubrication is done by the gear oil .
Our 1950 Meteor was treated this way very effectively , no leaks and a damn fine shifter . One very sweet ride . And strong running too . Sid .

vibrac

VOC Member
There is an article in a 70's MPH by Ron Kemp on fitting seals to the Burman box
It needs someone to redo the job and quote the machining O rings and seals needed

Howard

VOC Member
There is an article in a 70's MPH by Ron Kemp on fitting seals to the Burman box
It needs someone to redo the job and quote the machining O rings and seals needed

I might just do that, but the gearbox is working well apart from the leaks, so it will probably have to wait until Winter, because I'm determined to have a riding season this year, even if I have to buy a snorkel!! H