• Welcome to the forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this forum website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum website, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this forum website before, please CLICK HERE.

HELP Leaky Fuel Tap

Buzz Kanter

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
Non-VOC Member
As a brand new owner (a couple of days) of a very nice 1948 Rapide B I am anxious to learn more about my latest acquisition. The first thing I need to do is fix the very small but noxious leak in the left side fuel tap (we call them a petcock here in the US). The leak is not too bad but it does make the garage smell of gasoline and that makes my wife very unhappy.

Is there a general home cure or solution to this, or do I need to replace the worn out item. Details and leads all welcome. I am fair with a wrench.

Thanks.

Bazlerker

VOC Member
You can bugger about trying to fix it...or you can just buy a new pair. I keep a new set in stock as backup - so..order 4, use 2.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Vinparts sells a modern ball valve that doesn't leak and doesn't look bad, although not original-looking.

Buzz Kanter

Non-VOC Member
Thanks to all for the recommendations. I looked at the ebay listing for the rebuild kit. I like the idae of the new rubber O rings as an upgade. Anyone know how they hold up to the new ethynol laced gas sold in the US?

Warning! This thread is more than 12yrs ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.