Help: I need of a set of a set of new, fresh 9:1 pistons

Ducdude

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Greetings mates,

Due to ft exhaust spindle failure at speed (whoops, still learning every day with this bike)....

I find myself in need of a set of a set of new, fresh 9:1 pistons for my
Shadow. (Among other things)
Spares Company is out, Coventry out, and was Kemp, no joy.:-(

I may have to go 8:1 if I can not find a good new set of 9:1's to go with my
105 cams...

So does any one out there have a spare set of 9:1 pistons 's sitting on a
shelf or in a box that need a new loving home. I will be happy to
provide...We are trying to get all the parts needed for my rebuild as soon
as possible to make a shot at getting my baby back together and to the rally
by Sept...It is a tall order but a boy has to dream...

Thanks as always for your help...

Cheers,
Eric
UFM and RFM miss their motor.....

A_HRD

VOC Member
Eric,

If it were mine I'd be more than happy to have 8:1s in it. It'll make the bike far more manageable and enjoyable to ride. Besides, they are available!

So what caused the spindle failure (sheared?) and what else did it take with it?

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

deejay499

VOC Member
8.1s definitely better, especially with todays petrol and easier to turn over for starting. Good Luck.

Ducdude

VOC Member
Eric,

If it were mine I'd be more than happy to have 8:1s in it. It'll make the bike far more manageable and enjoyable to ride. Besides, they are available!

So what caused the spindle failure (sheared?) and what else did it take with it?

Peter B

Thanks Peter I am keeping the 8:1's in mind may just end up going that way..

The spindle backed out and hogged out the threads but did little other damage other then cause a valve to hit a piston we think and damage a follower..

Not that bad but I could have done with out all the coments fom passers by during the long push home. I got one "get a Harley" and a "Brit bike ..Figures...." That really did not help..
:mad:
Cheers,
Eric

Last edited:

Ducdude

VOC Member
Thanks Deejay,,,,

Yea popular opinion seems to agree with you..:)

Much Thanks,
Eric

Bracker1

VOC Member
Try Steve Hamel. I got the 9:1 pistons he sells. I have had no problems starting or running. I had him fit the pistons to new muffs and he did a beautiful job. See you at the international. By the way, its better to push a Vincent than ride anything else. It's best to breakdown in Minnesota, Wisconsin or Michigan... They treat you like king. See you at the International. Dan

Ducdude

VOC Member
Try Steve Hamel. I got the 9:1 pistons he sells. I have had no problems starting or running. I had him fit the pistons to new muffs and he did a beautiful job. See you at the international. By the way, its better to push a Vincent than ride anything else. It's best to breakdown in Minnesota, Wisconsin or Michigan... They treat you like king. See you at the International. Dan

Thanks Bracker....Do you have a contact for Steve Hamel?

Cheers,
Eric

b'knighted

VOC Member
In a letter published in one of the very early copies of MPH, a rider described how, having ridden many miles in poor conditions he was freezing. As means to warm himself up he stopped his engine and pushed the bike. While he was doing this the rider of a T*****h (whatever one of those may be) pulled up alongside him to offer assistance. When he explained that he was only pushing it to keep warm the T*****h rider called him a rude name before riding on. So, Eric, you are not the first Vincenteer to suffer abuse from the mouths of non-believers.

Cheers,
Ian

Ducdude

VOC Member
While he was doing this the rider of a T*****h pulled up alongside him to offer assistance. When he explained that he was only pushing it to keep warm the T*****h rider called him a rude name before riding on. So, Eric, you are not the first Vincenteer to suffer abuse from the mouths of non-believers.

Cheers,
Ian

Thanks Ian....I have Italian, German and Japanese bikes and have never felt the pull for HD’s and so I have felt this sting before.. It was the "British Bike, It figures" comment that got me. Heck all bikes break down even the new ones. I just wish the bum would have noted the antique plate or even inquired how many hundreds of hours it took for me to get this bike out of the basement and onto the road before they cut into me and my bike..

Oh well she will get fixed and I will go back to squid hunting on the week ends in the twistys showing these sport bike kids what a fast older rider on a fast old bike can do against their new wicked fast racers with little experience or training ..

Cheers,
Eric

Albervin

VOC Member
The NSW section has an "award" for anyone who breaks down on a Vincent rally. It is called the "You lucky bastard" award. It commemorates the event when a member broke down on a busy road; several riders stopped and observed the situation but offered no assistance, then one rider on a Japanese bike stopped and uttered the phrase " A VINCENT, you lucky bastard!" and promptly rode off.