Help and advice on Oil change?

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi,

First oil change now required on the twin as I'm running in (450 miles).

I've read Know Thy Beast so know the three parts, bottom banjo, oil filter housing and feed pipe from the UFM.

Any tips from anyone on making the oil change easier - the bike has been fitted with one of those special banjo's with an allen screw centre to make life easier, and I'm using Terry Prince full flow filter cartridges. I'm using 15/40for running in so I'm OK with oil type - and I'm not leaving it in long enough for the shearing actions to degrade the 15 element.

However, should I get the engine hot first before dropping the oil?

All tips gratefully received.

Thanks

Stuart

methamon

Non-VOC Member
Stuart,
I have just spent 20 minutes writing you a reply just to lose the connection................I am bored with it so if you call me 07771 940 299 I'll give you some advice.

Regards Jeff

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Take her for a ride to get the oil fully up to temp before changing it. Also , prime the new filter with oil before installing it.

dave g6xnc

Non-VOC Member
Oil

Used to a good mod to drill a hole in the brass cap which fits into the oil filter
and tapit out to 2ba and fit a screw, then when the oil is changed you can fill the
oil filter chamber with oil with an oil can. had it on my twin for years, possibly made not difference but I hated the idea of any delay in oil getting around
the engine.
dave gs.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Used to a good mod to drill a hole in the brass cap which fits into the oil filter
and tapit out to 2ba and fit a screw, then when the oil is changed you can fill the
oil filter chamber with oil with an oil can. had it on my twin for years, possibly made not difference but I hated the idea of any delay in oil getting around
the engine.
dave gs.
Dave,

Thanks - good tip - I took out the banjo feed at the other end and filled it with oil, having immersed the filter in oil and soaked it before fitting as well.

I'm with you - oil starvation not a good idea.

Thanks

Stuart

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Stuart,
I have just spent 20 minutes writing you a reply just to lose the connection................I am bored with it so if you call me 07771 940 299 I'll give you some advice.

Regards Jeff
Jeff,

Thanks for the help on the telephone - appreciated.

Cheers

Stuart