Hello out there

Hippo

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi, Just thought i'd make an introduction though i'm likely to be doing more learning and lurking than offering much in the way of anything positive.

Recovery from recent back surgery has made me re-evaluate a few things. I have a few bikes, mainly BSA/Triumph but at present I can't get the majority of them on their centre stands. The fact that i'm not able to ride them at present has made me bite the bullet and if I can't enjoy then I may as well let someone else... so i'm selling a few. I hope however that this will not be a permanent thing and that in 6 months or so i'm able to ride again.

I've always harboured a desire to at least try a Vincent so I can see what all the fuss is about. I don't know a lot about them and they've always been that bit beyond my reach even when i was younger, such that i've always been BSA/Triumph/AJS/Norton really. I couldn't tell a Comet footrest from a Rapide so i'm hoping to learn a bit and I guess this is the right place to learn - after all mistakes seem to come pretty expensive on a Vincent.

So, in a few months I hope to be looking for one - and as such am I right in guessing that the best place to find one that is right, is within the club?

Any other advice for a newbie/wannabe ... other than don't?

Stuart

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
You look like a good candidate for a series 'D' stand and its derivatives
a hand lever stand is good for bad backs
and electric start is not a bad option either
(at this point I should start my moan about non availability of comet electric starters.......)

b'knighted

VOC Member
The Dave Hill's stand is probably even kinder to backs than is the D stand. I have one on my electric start Comet!

Howard

VOC Member
The Dave Hill's stand is probably even kinder to backs than is the D stand. I have one on my electric start Comet!

Now you've done it!!!! Vibrac already goes on and on about Comet electric starts. He'll be starting posts about posts about starters now! :)

H

Yes, the Dave Hills stand is almost too easy to put a Comet on and off, to the point I didn't think it was safe at first.

And, Hippo, this probably isn't the place to buy a Vin, but if you find one you're interested in, post any concerns here and someone will tell you if you're right or wrong to be concerned.

Last edited:

Hippo

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks guys. I hope to be posting more in the near future.

I did have an LE Velocette once (... no accounting for taste) with a starting handle like the Vincent stand lever and it might be an option

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
There is a gentleman in Whitehorse Canada who has a non-numbers matching Rapide for $50,000.. I havent seen pictures of it, but its certainly worth enquiring about..

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Carl, if you open up a photobucket account, which takes about two minutes, you can then uploadhotos from your computer to the photobucket site. Once they are on photobucket, it is a simple matter to click on the imageurl then paste that into your posts here. This will give you nice large photos.

Glen