Hello ! ~ Newbie Here...

MotownMadMan

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello Gents (and Ladies) I hail from the the once great Motor Capital of the world that is now but a Shadow of its former glory...Detroit.

Always fascinated, nay enamoured of and by Vincent, espescially the work pioneered by both Phils. Phil Irving's depth of metallurgical prowess in the use of light alloys and particularly magnesium intrigue me most. I have two questions I would deeply appreciate any input on:

1. Any thoughts on Bernard Li's attempts to resurrect the name in a modern Vincent prior to his untimely demise last month. He spent about $2 million and 10 years trying.

2. If a modern Vincent Black Shadow were going to be done, if not sacrilegeous, how should it manifest itself? Keeping in mind the rich history of "The World's Fastest Stock Motorcycle" as the Vincent anthem.

Thankyou very much and I look forward to being a part of supporting the great Vincent Legacy in any small way that I can.

Cheers!

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Sorry to hear of Bernard Li's passing but I'm not sorry his project failed. How can something with a Honda engine be regarded as a true successor to the original? There have many attempts to revive famous marques from the past, none of which have made it with the notable exception of Mr. Bloor's Triumphs. It's best we enjoy what we have, no matter of it's flaws and shortcomings.

MotownMadMan

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
A Vincent Can Not be Honda Powered

Sorry to hear of Bernard Li's passing but I'm not sorry his project failed. How can something with a Honda engine be regarded as a true successor to the original? There have many attempts to revive famous marques from the past, none of which have made it with the notable exception of Mr. Bloor's Triumphs. It's best we enjoy what we have, no matter of it's flaws and shortcomings.

I agree with you Mr. Matthews, and with all respect to Mr. Li, the Honda motor was the only option he had at the time, so sometimes we make decisions to reach goals that are not perfect, but do achieve a means to an end.

I believe a magnesium intensive engine in line with the original objective of the Vincent Marque as if it were always in production is the order of the day.

After all, if Ducati stuck with bevel drive, perhaps they may not have been at the top of MotoGP today.

Chrish

Non-VOC Member
If you’re looking for a successor to the Vincent of the past look no further than the Vincent of now. The Horner brothers Irving Vincent just blitzed Ducati at Daytona.

Chrish

pifinch

Non-VOC Member
Mind you, the engine is a little bit bigger, but yeah ,they done it! there was a recent thread about our ancient lumps of tin only putting out 27 horses per cylinder compared to BSA's 45, It still does not seem to stop us going at reasonably silly speeds!

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Has Ducati made a bevel drive motor since the early '80's?

Also, is a "magnesium intensive engine in line" a fore and aft v twin like a Vincent? Or do you mean an in-line multi like a new Rocket 3 or an across the frame multi?

Have you contacted the Motor City Section to join in their fun?

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Two Vincent Paths.

Dear All,
All due respects to Mr Liu for the effort he put in in constructing his bike. Today we have two paths of Vincent manufacture. We have the modern day version , the Irving Vincent and the reproduction version of the original. Both machines are highly desirable in their own right Had Mr Liu put his money and effort into either (or both) of these ventures, then we might have been further down these paths. If ever I was to win the big one, I would have no hesitation in having an example of each to ride on a daily basis.

Phelps.

timetraveller

VOC Member
For those who would like a magnesium crankcase, remember that Patrick Godet can supply bikes with such an item and also much more updated engine parts. I have no connection with his company but he makes a very nice bike. :)