Hello - and where to start...

VirtualVincent

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Firstly, 'hi'. This is my first post to this forum.

I've always loved classics and have rebuilt a couple of small ones (1962 Tiger Cub and 1968 Suzuki T200). Above all though, I have loved the Vincent from afar and now I have finally had enough of modern bikes. I am about to sell my Triumph Sprint and become bikeless for the first time in about 20 years.

However, I want to start a Vincent project. I would like to build a Cafe Racer style machine based on a Black Lightning-tuned engine but retain much of the original good design such as the centralised rear shocks. I've read too many scare stories to want to retain the front forks though and would look to replace them with late 1960's style teles (yeah - I know - the purists will hate me, but please forgive my heathen tendencies). I also would like to add better drum brakes and a 1960's style racing fairing. I'm not adverse to using replica parts as this bike will be purely for my personal pleasure to ride.

So... a featherbed frame won't do and a standard Vincent frame would probably need altering to have fairing mountings added and possibly also to take teles.

Has anybody done a similar project? Does anybody know a reputable frame builder?

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member

I've always loved classics and have rebuilt a couple of small ones (1962 Tiger Cub and 1968 Suzuki T200). Above all though, I have loved the Vincent from afar and now I have finally had enough of modern bikes. I am about to sell my Triumph Sprint and become bikeless for the first time in about 20 years.

However, I want to start a Vincent project. I would like to build a Cafe Racer style machine based on a Black Lightning-tuned engine but retain much of the original good design such as the centralised rear shocks. I've read too many scare stories to want to retain the front forks though and would look to replace them with late 1960's style teles (yeah - I know - the purists will hate me, but please forgive my heathen tendencies). I also would like to add better drum brakes and a 1960's style racing fairing. I'm not adverse to using replica parts as this bike will be purely for my personal pleasure to ride.

So... a featherbed frame won't do and a standard Vincent frame would probably need altering to have fairing mountings added and possibly also to take teles.

Has anybody done a similar project? Does anybody know a reputable frame builder?

This sounds like Bill Thomas's twin- I think it was/is a Series D with teleforks, cast alloy wheels and a racing cowl fairing. Very nice bike in late 70s early 80s, much photographed (you should find photos easily) - I know Bill's still a member, but I haven't caught up with club goings on yet - I've been away.

DON'T cover that beautiful engine with plastic bits!!!!

Regards

Howard

VirtualVincent

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the replies.

DON'T cover that beautiful engine with plastic bits!!!!

Absolutely not! I like the swept-back racing cowl style fairing with no lower bodywork.

I guess an Egli is a possibility, though the ones I have seen all have the rear shocks either side of the swing-arm. I was hoping to use a pair of shock up under the seat (but with the seat on a rather more beautiful sub-frame than the Series D and definitely NOT bolted to the swing-arm as in Series A-C :p).

I will Google Bill Thomas' machine and, if he is on the forum, I'd love to hear about it!

Howard

VOC Member
I've seen Bill's name on the forum, so he should be easy to contact. All you really need from a D is the UFM and RFM, all your angles etc should fall into line. Suspension travel will be a bit short and bumpy compared with your Triumph, and nomatter how good your drum brakes are, you'll still find yourself waiting for them to grip after 3 disc brakes. I've got an Egli with 9" TLS brakes and a - dare I say it here - a Fireblade, and I know which I prefer to use hard on the brakes.

VirtualVincent

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Point taken about the brakes :) and I certainly don't expect them to match 6-pot Brembos! My T200 had 7inch TLS and, although an admittedly slower, lighter machine, it coped well enough for normal riding (I don't intend to race this thing!).

UFM and RFM? Um... I'm guessing this mean Upper Frame Mount and Rear Frame Mount or summat? Can you confirm?

Thanks

Howard

VOC Member
Oh FGS. I've got an Egli, what do I know about frame parts.

Yes, UFM is upper frame member, on a C it's the oil tank as well, but on a D it's just a bit of tube (Sorry Mr Vincent) bolted to the top of the engine, with the forks mounting tube at the front and a bracket at the back for suspension units. The RFM is the rear frame member - the pivot point is attached to the back of the engine, and the suspension unit bolts to the top of it forming a cantilever "swinging arm".

Look at the drawings in the technical section on this forum, all should become clear.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
:rolleyes:

Read too many scare stories about the front forks? Who by? Tank Slappers have been known but it's very rare occurence provided the steering damper is used and you keep a firm grip on the bars when riding on bad surfaces. Other makes are not immune from scary moments!