Hello and egli vincent

TR500

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi folks, names pete, firstly does anyone on here remember W E Humphreys of hamstead road london and later Essex road islington??

Just curious as I was a apprentice with them and they were well known vinny dealers (amongst other things)

I am part of a small business which amongst other things produce EGLI replica frames for both the twin and comet, we have been doing this for a number of years and are the suppliers to John Mossey, for his superb bikes, we have actually probably supplied more frames to business and private users than anyone else.

We have decided to offer frames directly to the public, we will soon have a new web site with pics etc, in the mean time if interested please feel free to contact me on PLMS@btinternet.com.

The frames are built by my business partner Andy Sidlow whom some of you may know, and he has been building frames for some 35 yrs including in the past Seeley Honda frames, early hesketh frames.

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I too used to visit them regularly nearly 50 years ago. They used to let me go through their box of Mk II cams so that I could pick out the ones which did not have a flat at the start or end of the lift. The name Mossey might put some people off this frame product and certainly there have been problems. However, a chap turned up at Dick Sherwin’s Pioneer Run barbecue on a JM Egli. The frame looked very nice and had an interesting and useful modification in that the off side rear tube which forms the front of the rear frame had been used as a feed from the oil tank to a short flexible pipe to the input to the oil pump. It looked particularly neat and effective. Caveat emptor, as we used to say around the Forum

nkt267

VOC Member
I used to work for Humphreys part time from about '68 and for a short while in Essex road..john

TR500

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi TimeTraveller, yes I am aware that Johns name evokes various feelings, and I know a few purists have no time for modernising or alterations etc, but the only association we have is that we supply the frames and various mods requested, and to be fair Mossey does produce some nice bikes.
The frame refered to is one of our frames, I will be sorting a web site out soon to show what we do, but rest assured we are independant of John and only his supplier.
Interested parties are more than welcome to see before buying and rest assured Caveat emptor is not how we do business, no wax in our marble sir!!

TR500

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Nkt, did you work in stores or workshop? only a few of us went to essex road, stan retired, richard took over the workshop with myself and another pete, bill and dennis ran parts and I was pilfered from the workshop regularly to help with post, pete Knight (3 petes working at same place lol) was incharge of sales and as the owners son in law general manager, alan catchpole was the owner and a real old school gentleman.

Trevor Rowlands

Non-VOC Member
My old "B" Shadow KLD 289 was sold by W E Humphreys in 1948, it is still going well, I had it for 39 years,It was sold it to one of our section members, I still see it now and again.
Happy Xmas Trev.