Hello (and a question!)

Chewie

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello to the forum :) !

I have long been a fan (aficionado? devotee?) of Vincent motorcycles. Why? Who knows! I live in the Stevenage/Herts area, so maybe I feel a pull to the local marque, but it's more than that.... I have been reading about the bikes for years in books such as The Vincent Gold Portfolio, Vincent The Complete Story and Original Vincent Motorcycle. The books are my bedtime reading..... :eek:

For years, my financial situation has meant that I couldn't contemplate ownership, but I'm now in a position to think about it. As luck would have it, a very dear friend is thinking of selling a Black Knight. (I'm not going to pass on any contact details, before anyone asks, so please don't put me in that position.) The price is realistic, he knows his Vincents very well, so we are talking very serious money here (once again, please don't ask me to reveal how much).

I would dearly love a Vincent, as a project, as an investment, but most of all as a bike to ride and be proud of. But, it's a lot of money (and it's worth it) so here's the question - am I in over my head getting a BK as a first Vincent? Would I be better looking for a single cylinder model?

I know this is a very open-ended question to ask! You may respond "well, it depends on the condition of the BK" and so on. But I'd be very interested in some gut reactions here. I don't want to buy a bike I'm too scared to ride!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Chewie :D

Tnecniv Edipar

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Before I bought my Rapide I was in pretty much the same situation as you , but my focus was set on a twin , preferably a Shadow , but a superb Rapide came up, the cash was there and thats what I went for.
Practically speaking , the difference between owning a twin , even a Knight , isn't that different to a Comet. Not wishing in any way to offend single owners my intention was always to have a twin , it just epitomises the legend. Go for the Knight , you have my assurance you won't be disappointed :)

John Appleton

VOC Member
Hello chewie, I guess we have all been of your mindset. In 1962 I bought a comet, which was going to be the bike to see me into the future. It was so successful that , two weeks later, I bought my rapide. I still have both of them! Dont be scared to ride a twin. If it is the legendary performanc that scares you, dont open the throttles too far. You will find that you are riding a docile tourer. If its the thought of dropping your very expensive toy, that will only last for the first ten minutes. After that you will be having so mutch fun it wont matter.
Two other bits of advice:- join the VOC, and buy the comet as well.
John

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
Yes but Chewie what experience do you have with motorcycles. If you have been riding modern bikes then the performance is not going to be an issue, tho the brakes might! if you have been riding classics then the starting and fiddling and fettling should present no problem. If neither then you have a bit of a learning curve to traverse.

However - a Black Knight!! - under any circumstances - go for it!

Ernie Lowinger

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
Go for it, if you don't you will be saying to everyone "if only I had...." for ever.
Ian S.
PS I maybe near you so if you need an "expert friend" to give you an opinion I could help, I'm not going to try and out 'bid' you I've got enough!

Chewie

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello all,

Firstly, thank you very much for all your thoughts and advice - thank you for making me feel welcome, it is very much appreciated! :D

Secondly, I will certainly join the VOC straight away - I've been kicking myself that I haven't done it sooner.

I have a mix of old and new bikes at present, some of which have scary brakes! I've also rebuilt and restored a couple of bikes, so whilst not an expert mechanic I'm not worried about working on them.

Please may I ask two follow-on questions?

Firstly, I have found this site (click here for link) as a guide to Black Knight prices. Would you say this is accurate? I know this is in US$, but does it transfer to the UK well?

Secondly, one of the things which makes me nervous buying a covered bike (Knight or Prince) is that bodywork and the possibility of dropping and wrecking what is one of the defining features of the bike. I do want to ride it! Is it possible to temporarily remove all the bodywork and effectively convert it to a naked Series D Rapide, even if at some cost?

Thank you once again for your help! :D

Chewie

b'knighted

VOC Member
Hi Chewie,

You responded while I was drafting this reply:
Assuming that you are already a motorcyclist, join the VOC, buy the Knight and ride it. The D’s are potentially easier to live with as the coil ignition causes less obscure problems than a magneto but I would recommend fitting a propstand. 12volt conversion and an electric starter (pouf foot) can make it easier to live with.

Good luck,

Having seen your response I can tell you that I threw my Knight up the road, on ice, just before Christmas 2008. The crashbar, which comes out to the edge of the sidepanel, was scuffed, as was the bottom corner of the WCS pannier. Gear lever, mirrorglass and windscreen all broke.
I do not have handlebar muffs fitted.
Dropped it on a Wednesday replaced damaged parts (ignoring scuffs) on the Saturday.
Yes, by replacing headcowl with a separate headlamp / speedo and ammeter, rear cowl with D Rap seat frame/ mudguard and replacing front mudguard with a C setup and stays, you can convert it – but why would you want to? The cowlings (other than the removable handlebar muffs, are not particularly vulnerable and the crashbar is effective. The bottom of the rearcowl has a frame with tapped lugs inside its edge and small guard angles fitted to may guard that edge. Crashing any bike, naked or enclosed can ruin your entire day.

Treat the prices as being in pounds perhaps, even then the good and fair prices are much too low.

Cheers,

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Buy it...buy it NOW...ride it, wear it out, learn its strengths and weaknesses and you will never regret it.

You should also never accept an invitation to drink with Vincent owners - kick starting a Vincent leads to hollow leg syndrome..I've seen it, and its not pretty.

Chewie

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Right then, first things first, I've joined the VOC :D (when does my status change on here?) - Herts & Beds area.

Thanks again for all the advice. B'knighted - I take your point, I didn't realise spares were that easy to come by!

The pondering continues..... :D