HB: Handlebars Hella Bar End Signals ?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I think its KJW 587 which was a Vincent registration but we don't know which one. Not on the DVLA so doesn't appear to have survived, or if it has its hiding under an age related or overseas reg.

Simon

Michael Vane-Hunt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It has a honking big speedometer a Vincentish looking silencer and brake rod mechanism also the tank, from what one can see, has a familiar shape.

Oops, looks like we have started to wander off thread.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
While on the subject of indicators, if Alyson is going to use the bike for touring, a top box is a good place for another pair of indicators and a second brake/tail light.
The lights in the photo are all LEDs and very bright, especially the large brake light on the top box. A couple of years ago when riding in rain I got ahead of a riding buddy. This was on a stretch of busy freeway, so I pulled to the side and stopped. With the indicators in 4 way flash mode he could see the bike through the gloom from about half a mile back.
Screenshot_20210215-190050.png

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
I am waiting until some bright chap comes out with a vintage looking bar end mirror that has embedded turn signal lights both front and back with the rear facing lights under the glass. If they can make these for pickup trucks why not for vintage bikes? A pair of this type of mirror would make the need for signal lights at the back unnecessary. Also as a bonus one would very soon realize the signal was on after a turn. This type of mirror is being made for motorcycles but they are of a hideous shape. Glen, as your ability to find obscure bits and pieces, is better than mine, I am sure you will find some for me.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Mike, that type of signal would be excellent for the front of the bike, but I would still add some indicators at the back. The combination of amber flashing at front and red at rear really seems to wake people up.
Note that police cars use a very bright combination of light colours.
This bike also has 2 pairs of amber LEDs mounted to the crash bars near the ends.
I find that car drivers do see and react to the indicators when on this bike, moreso than on the modern bikes, which have way less lumens flashing.
It's a good feeling when the car driver in the other lane sees your indicator and makes space for you.
It's a horrible feeling when they don't notice the indicator or an outstretched arm and nearly run over you!

Glen

erik

VOC Member
@ Peter .ihave the hole very close to the twistgrip and never had a Problem with a weak handlebar in the last 34 years with my commando, doing About 200000 miles with it.erik

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
In my humble opinion, without any doubt the very best indicators out there are made by Kellermann, very very bright in use, but almost invisible when not in use, only 10mm diameter max, the lens diameter is 7.8mm diameter, they do an indicator version only for around £60.00 per unit, so £240.00 to do a bike with 4, or if you are really flush with money they do a 3 in one version with additional rear light, stop light and indicator for around £90.00 per unit, so £360.00 to do a bike, the model is Kellermann Bullet Atto, they are very good indeed, and so they should be at that price.