HB: Handlebars Hella Bar End Signals ?

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Back 20 years ago in the UK before the nudge unit filled the airwaves with push bike propaganda I dont think many myopic car drivers would have any idea what an outstretched right hand meant, it had been lost in the mists of time, nowadays a lot more do have a vague idea whats going on at least thats one good thing the millions of push bikers have done.
However I dont think any one on a single track would really try the turning left waving signal and it would be an absolute nightmare in a RH drive car although i belive its in the Highway code still

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
How about these?

Or these?

I saw one of these setups at a motorcycle show a couple of years ago. I didn't bite.
What I do have is "hidden" LED strips as Vic mentions. In front, they're mounted on my Britax replica crash bar. In back, on the back of the D subframe. They are very visible.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
Yes, Carl's solution was the inspiration. I didn't mill a slot in the bar. I just stuck them on used a couple of very small cable ties for assurance. Maybe they're not as pretty but I haven't had any comments. Or maybe I'm just not listening. :)

erik

VOC Member
To get the wires into the handlebar I would not recommend to drill a hole in the middle between the clamps. I drilled a hole under the indicator switch to feed the Hellas with electricity. In Germany they are called Ochsenauge Blinker (oxe eye indicators). Erik

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I would have thought that if drilling a hole in the bars introduces any weakness at all, then drilling a hole centrally between the clamps was the best place of all, when Soichiro Honda designed his groundbreaking CB72/77 motorcycles that is exactly where he positioned the wiring access hole, only it is an oval slot accommodating some fairly heavy sheathed cable, I think Soichiro knew what he was doing. Whilst mentioning Honda, does anyone remember one of the early Honda adverts "who will win the CC vs RPM war?" a strange advert considering it featured clearly the rear view of a Vincent motorcycle with a Honda CB72/77 in the fore, probably around 1965, when Vincents had been out of production for 10 years, perhaps a Triumph or Norton etc. would have been more applicable. Does anyone have a copy of this advert, it would have been in a British publication.

Last edited:

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Found it, can anyone identify the bike?

Attachments

• Honda-305-Super-Sport-classic-motorcycle-period-advert.jpg
    Honda-305-Super-Sport-classic-motorcycle-period-advert.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 40

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Yes there was little doubt that it was a twin, but I could just about glimpse a number plate, just curious whether the bike still exists, for the period, mid sixties, it has had some unusual features added.