Helicoil

kurtflys

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I was checking the oil in the primary case (#188) and noticed that the threads were striped. Looks like they had used a recoil at some point in the past. I got a recoil kit from Covington but have never used one of these before. Are there any "does and don'ts" I should know about? Do I need to take off the primary cover or can I leave it on?
Thanks

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Dead easy to use. Only trouble I've ever had was when I didn't have the correct install tool. Made one by cutting a slot in the end of a bit of round stock that was slight smaller than the helicoil. This allows the coil to wind up slightly like a spring and makes installation a breeze. I would take the cover off to be sure no aluminum chips make it into the primary oil.
Steven

kurtflys

Non-VOC Member
This was very easy,,,,,, until <<<<< I tried to insert the bolt, which was tight,,,,, I thought that perhaps that was normal,,,, perhaps to seat the recoil,,,,, bolt snapped off !$#@@
On closer examination (to late of course ) I realized it was not an original bolt. Ok I get the drill back out and start the process of drilling it out. ,,,,,,, I'm almost home and SNAP!$$#@$# Drill bit snaps off. Now this ten minute job has expanded ????? I did not like the idea of leaving the shavings from the drill and tap in the case anyway,,,,, so off comes the clutch and case cover. Good news ,,,,I was able to punch the drill bit out from the back with very little force ,,,, Ran the drill and tap thru one more time,,,, might be a little loose this time but I will see. I will have to have the right bolt sent from Covington and give it a try. If it is to loose for the recoil to work,, ?? I'm think I might have the now to large hole
welded up and start from scratch with the original side bolt. If I do that ,,, how hard will it be to weld the case??? What is the case made of? Do I need a special rod??
I have learned from this to always check nuts and bolts to see what they are=( and if they are correct.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
This was very easy,,,,,, until <<<<< I tried to insert the bolt, which was tight,,,,, I thought that perhaps that was normal,,,, perhaps to seat the recoil,,,,, bolt snapped off !$#@@
On closer examination (to late of course ) I realized it was not an original bolt. Ok I get the drill back out and start the process of drilling it out. ,,,,,,, I'm almost home and SNAP!$$#@$# Drill bit snaps off. Now this ten minute job has expanded ????? I did not like the idea of leaving the shavings from the drill and tap in the case anyway,,,,, so off comes the clutch and case cover. Good news ,,,,I was able to punch the drill bit out from the back with very little force ,,,, Ran the drill and tap thru one more time,,,, might be a little loose this time but I will see. I will have to have the right bolt sent from Covington and give it a try. If it is to loose for the recoil to work,, ?? I'm think I might have the now to large hole
welded up and start from scratch with the original side bolt. If I do that ,,, how hard will it be to weld the case??? What is the case made of? Do I need a special rod??
I have learned from this to always check nuts and bolts to see what they are=( and if they are correct.

In the unlikely event that you end up with a too large hole,the simple solution is to then use a bolt that is one size larger than the original. Of course this means you need a tap (and possibly a Recoil kit) to match the new bolt.

M

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Well, what I would do is either weld up and start from scratch or make a steel top hat insert with a 1/4" B.S.P. thread on the o.d. Loctite it in once you have threaded it 3/8" C.E.I. Having a C.E.I. thread into alloy ain't the best anyway, and either method stops you having to make a special bolt.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I had a similar issue...I took a piece of threaded rod, drilled and tapped the case to fit it, the put it in a lathe and drilled a hole down the centre, which I then tapped to fit the original bolt..what I have, in effect is a very thick walled helicoil insert.. This insert is held in place with "red" bearing grade loctite..