Who sells heavier Front Brake Cables? I searched on this forum and it didn
t come up.

Thanks for your help.

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I just bought two sets today - I'll send you some Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I think these are made by DJ cables?, he told me today the list of people he supplies. I bought two sets to put into stock as spares just today at the Kempton Classic Bike Show - see the photo's I am about to post. If you send me your address details off forum with a PM then I'll send you a set, I have them on my bike, they are superb.

Regards

Stuart (Metcalfe)

Who sells heavier Front Brake Cables? I searched on this forum and it didn
t come up.

Thanks for your help.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Heavy Cables

Hi,

I don't know about the cables from DJ but I can recommend cables supplied by Derek Sayer. They have longer adjusters and non compressible outers. I have always found his service to be excellent as well.

Cheers, Ian

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
These are one and the same.....

DJ makes them for Derek, so they are the same thing. There is a prototype in development with the upper in stainless tube for stiffness which is said to be a further improvement.

Stuart

Hi,

I don't know about the cables from DJ but I can recommend cables supplied by Derek Sayer. They have longer adjusters and non compressible outers. I have always found his service to be excellent as well.

Cheers, Ian

Andrew Everett

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Derek Sayer has worked quite closely with DJ for years.
Derek has plugged away at the improvement of Vincent front brakes as something of a personal quest. He went to DJ with his idea of heavier cables and had some made, these proved successful and Derek shared his findings with DJ and was quite happy for DJ to produce these for other people. In point of fact Derek currently supplies a different version than that which DJ sells; the inner cable in the Sayer version being one gauge heavier.

As for the prototype in development using the upper in stainless tube, this is again another Derek Sayer project (based on a hypothesis of brother John). Derek has told DJ that he is working on this, so one has to assume this is what DJ was relating to you (pity he did not mention that the pioneer of this is a keen and dedicated VOC member).

Interestingly Derek tells me that as he gradually elliminates free play and flex from various parts, then the next weakest item in the chain begins to 'give'; the current component under scrutiny giving considerable food for thought. I will say no more than that as this is not my project to make detailed disclosures.

DJ also makes and supplies, to Derek's specifications, solid speedo drives for prewar machines; DJ makes them under a hand shake agreement with Derek. Naturally this product is also available from Derek.

Anyone looking to improve the performance of the standard brake set up on a Vin would do well to consult Derek.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Just to be clear.......

Hi Yugdab,

I think your posting demonstrates I may have caused you some mis-understanding - please let me straighten that out.

DJ explained his relationship with Derek, and others in the VOC - he was clear, open, straightforward and honest about it. he did not in any way claim the development for himself, but explained the role Derek had played and that the stainless flex pipe was a Derek request and prototype. DJ made it for Derek to his specification and has since made a second prototype having had some feedback on the first.

He struck me as a thoroughly decent chap.

Hope that sets any possible mis-understanding straight.

Bruce - will post yours off tomorrow or Tuesday.

Regards

Stuart.

Derek Sayer has worked quite closely with DJ for years.
Derek has plugged away at the improvement of Vincent front brakes as something of a personal quest. He went to DJ with his idea of heavier cables and had some made, these proved successful and Derek shared his findings with DJ and was quite happy for DJ to produce these for other people. In point of fact Derek currently supplies a different version than that which DJ sells; the inner cable in the Sayer version being one gauge heavier.

As for the prototype in development using the upper in stainless tube, this is again another Derek Sayer project (based on a hypothesis of brother John). Derek has told DJ that he is working on this, so one has to assume this is what DJ was relating to you (pity he did not mention that the pioneer of this is a keen and dedicated VOC member).

Interestingly Derek tells me that as he gradually elliminates free play and flex from various parts, then the next weakest item in the chain begins to 'give'; the current component under scrutiny giving considerable food for thought. I will say no more than that as this is not my project to make detailed disclosures.

DJ also makes and supplies, to Derek's specifications, solid speedo drives for prewar machines; DJ makes them under a hand shake agreement with Derek. Naturally this product is also available from Derek.

Anyone looking to improve the performance of the standard brake set up on a Vin would do well to consult Derek.

Andrew Everett

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thank you.

Very adequately and speedily straightened out.

My only concern was that Derek Sayer (one who does not do the Internet), a dedicated VOC chap, should get the public credit for his efforts.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Thanks yugdab,

I didn’t have quite the specific knowledge that you have clarified, but have known Derek as the originator and supplier for a considerable period. He has supplied me with C and D rears and long and short fronts, all of which have proved excellent and long lasting.

For those who don’t know him, I believe he has also been involved in several other projects of benefit to the Vincent world, notably the successful production of DRAT crankcases, being the D of the group who developed them. He also “sponsored” the production of the WCS leather grain panniers.

To paraphrase you - Anyone looking to improve or maintain any bits on a Vin would do well to consult Derek.

Cheers, Ian

Andrew Everett

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Sorry No.
Derek has an adverse reaction to computers and any way he spends all his time up to his elbows in engine oil, a keyboard would not last a week!
If you want to contact him, drop an email to his brother John and ask him to pass it on, they live close by.
Give you phone number in the message, and the best time to contact you.
southlondon499@voc.uk.com