Headlamp Rim and Clasp Query - Series C Rapide

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Evening All,

I wonder if I could ask the Forum Membership for assistance with a problem I have with the headlamp assembly with my Series C Rapide - I am fairly sure the set up is non-original, and I think the problem is with the clasp - but I have posted 5 or 6 pictures on the Forum tonight showing the problem - at the bottom of my note here is a link to just one of them.

I think the problem stems to the fact that the clasp has a "trim cover piece" as part of the assembly which is not on the replacement part assembly (and hence I guess the standard part) that I have got hold of.

The problem I think is that the trim cover piece should have two folded up "feet" that then secure/locate in two slots in the rim itself. These feets appears to have broken off over time and so, in my view, there is no way of the clasp locating on the rim and pulling the two ends together around the lamp unit (which I know is not standard).

So whilst the clasp will hold the rim back to the shell, it will not hold it tight on the diameter around the Lucas 700 lamp unit fitted and so it rattles loose when riding and falls apart. Unhelpful.

I've been happy with the assembly for the first 5000 miles of ownership so would like to try and put it back together with the minimum of disruption and fuss - can anyone help identify what I have as an assembly and where I can get a replacement clasp from with the trim piece in place (with the two protruding feet) assuming I have diagnosed my problem properly?

Help and guidance once again much apprecated from the VOC members.

http://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/photos/showphoto.php/photo/3522

Regards

Stuart

Here's another photo:

Attachments

• IMG_7425.JPG
    IMG_7425.JPG
    457.2 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
You are correct...My headlight ring has a tab that locates in a slot in the headlight shell..this slot is located at the top of the shell inline with the centerline of the ammeter in the "shoulder" area of the headlight shell where it narrows to allow the ring to be nearly flush with the rest of the shell..

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
Non std rim

The clasp part in your last pic is genuine Miller the rim is not. A Miller rim has not been cut as the one you have has it also has a clip rivetted to it to prevent the light unit rotating. You can remove the rivet from the Miller spring mounting clip, but a new Miller rim , which may or may not already have the spring clip in it. and throw away the split rim. If it comes without the spring catch it is a simple job to use a new rivet fit the catch to the rim and upsett the rivet , to fix same.

nkt267

VOC Member
I was looking at your pics of the rim, and noting your comment that the rim does not hold the glass securely, the glass should be secured to the rim with 'W' clips.Or did I miss something..John

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
I think the issue is the "split" rim and then the clasp

I was looking at your pics of the rim, and noting your comment that the rim does not hold the glass securely, the glass should be secured to the rim with 'W' clips.Or did I miss something..John

Hi John,

I have a bunch of "W" clips fitted, I think the issue is though that the clasp does not any longer hold the rim closed in diameter and so as it is free to expand/contract it is losing contact with the glass in that plane as oppose to fore and aft which is controlled by the "W" clips.

Hope I'm explaining that well enough, if I had a clasp with the trim section on it, and that trim section had the two protruding tabs or feet as this one I have looks like it did have originally, then this would sit into the two slots in the rim and hold it tight shut closed in diameter, clamped around the lamp unit. Then the "W" clips could do their job in holding the kamp unit in place from moving fore and aft.

I guess what I am seeking to do is see if anyone can help me identify the rim and clasp that I have fitted and then locate a spare clasp or rim and clasp as oppose to having to replace the whole lot for miller reproductions.

Regards

Stuart

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
Stuart
What you have there is I believe a Lucas 'Split Rim' I had one on my Comet years ago until I dropped the bike and damaged the rim. It lets you fit a Lucas 700 sealed beam unit to a 6 1/2 Miller shell. The chrome plate covers the cut should have tags that enter the two small slots then a wire clip retains it from the inside and hook fitting that holds it to the shell. I don’t think I have the damaged rim still but I’ll have a rummage and see if any of the bits remain in a box somewhere.
I've just looked at the rest of the pictures and the clip fitting you have ia a repro Miller fitting that the Velo club make/made and someone has tried to adapt the split rim cover plate to fit. The Lucas clip is different.
Ian

Last edited:

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Ian, you may well be my saviour......

Hi Ian,

You may well be my saviour, yes the light unit is a lucas 700. I suspect that the two protruding feet/tabs on the trim cover section have become broken and missiing and that is what is causing me the problems.

If you happened to have the clip with trim cover and tabs, then that would be the very piece of my quest I guess.

Stuart

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Years ago, cars had a system for dipping the headlamps where one lamp was extinquished and a soleniod in the other one caused the reflector to tilt. (Both had single filament bulbs). To update this achaic set up Lucas marketed conversion kits comprising of two 700 light units, double filament bulbs and converter rims. These rims varied according to the car they were intended for. The smaller ones would suit something like a Morris 8 (61/2"to 7") and larger ones for a Humber perhaps (8" to 7").
These would be the same as used on open Series D's.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Update and a request for some more help - so how do I...

Evening All,

Thanks to Trev. for identifying the Lucas part number - I managed to find an original old stock (still wrapped up and in its original Lucas box) and so I now have a replacement which comes with the original trim clip - the bit that I thought I needed with the "feet" on it - and sure enough that it exactly what it has got.

So - my next problem, how do I then fix the rim with this trim cover on it to the Miller 6.5 headlamp shell.

Anyone able to shed any light on it for me? Does it somehow use the orginal Miller clip, or do I need something else special?

Anyone able to let me have a picture of what I need?

Photo link below, look at pictures 37 and 38.

Look forward to hearing from someone with an idea for help?

http://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/photos/showphoto.php/photo/3537

The rim is a Lucas part no. 553153. Originally for converting Austin 7 headlights.

Attachments

• IMG_7486.JPG
    IMG_7486.JPG
    434.5 KB · Views: 36