FF: Forks Headlamp Brackets

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Here is the extract from one of my my spares list book. Its a Vincent book and not Harpers but I cannot find a date on it. I suspect the original F86 was the pre war seies A item which was flat blade rather than made from tube. Sorry I don't have the actual dimensions to hand.

pg4 - Copy.jpg

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Jigs that I've made, making mudguard stays rear lifting handles and were also used when making the frame for panniers, also headlamp brackets
THIS PAIR OF CLAMPS WILL PUT A RADIUS ON ONE SIDE OR BOTH SIDES DEPENDING WHICH END ONE FEEDS IT INTO
IMG_2968.jpeg

IMG_2965.jpeg

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
THE OTHER JIG FOR TUBE BENDING OF 1/2" TUBING THICK OR THIN WALLED
CLAMP INTO VICE INSERT TUBE BETWEEN ROLLERS AND PULL HANDLE ROUND TO FORM A BENT THIS IS FOR THE REAR LIFTING HANDLE.
KEEP WHEELS P[OLISHED SO ONE DOES NOT MARK NICELY POLISHED STAINLESS

IMG_2970.jpeg

THIS ONE IS FOR MUDGUARD STAYS

IMG_2969.jpeg

AS IT'S A CLUB THEY HAR HERE TO BE BORROWED SO LONG AS POST IS PAID FOR AND RETURNED WHEN FINISHED WITH,,, ORDER A FEW 6m LENGTHS BEFOREHAND AND IN A DAY ONE COULD MAKE SEVERAL SETS OF STAYS AND FLATTEN THE ENDS WITH THE OTHER JIG SHOWN ABOVE BUT A HYDRAULIC PRESS WOULD BE EASIER UNLESS YOU HAVE A SCAFFOLDING POLE ON THE VICE BAR.
bananaman.

Attachments

• IMG_2970.jpeg
    IMG_2970.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2969.jpeg
    IMG_2969.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 29

Mikethebike

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
In Craig's 2 pictures with the Bramptons, the upper stay is parallel with the lower fork link - is the problem a variation in suspension geometry?
Mike

Cyborg

VOC Member
Jigs that I've made, making mudguard stays rear lifting handles and were also used when making the frame for panniers, also headlamp brackets
THIS PAIR OF CLAMPS WILL PUT A RADIUS ON ONE SIDE OR BOTH SIDES DEPENDING WHICH END ONE FEEDS IT INTO
View attachment 38599

View attachment 38600

Now if I made a device to accomplish that task, it would probably look “slightly” more complicated. Am I correct in assuming that those 3 small holes and pin are used to anchor the stay and give you a choice of 3 different lengths?

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
No Cyborg my handsome,
those three holes are actually four in all to keep the top block aligned by those dowels. The lengths of the stays you have to work out your self, whether headlamp brackets or mudguard stays, holding the tube central in the jig and closing it under pressure holding it at either end will give you a single or double radius at the ends of your tubes ready for drilling.
bananaman.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Thanks for the reply. It wasn’t the 4 alignment dowels I was inquiring about. It looks like there are 3 smaller holes (one with a pin hiding in the shadows? or perhaps it’s just a shadow) in the centre of the larger block. I thought perhaps they were there to determine the length of the crimp not the length of the stay.

craig

VOC Member
In Craig's 2 pictures with the Bramptons, the upper stay is parallel with the lower fork link - is the problem a variation in suspension geometry?
Mike
Obviously the Vincent B series lower 8"headlamp brackets are way more important than where your nuts are.
Yes there could be geometry issues between Bramptons and Girdraulics as to where the lower mount point is for the headlamp brackets. The current brackets are of high quality, double crushed tubing instead of single for strength.

It appears, to me, that a change in dimensions in the supplied part F86/1 has occurred while we were sleeping. The period (1945-47) pics all show the large headlamp mounted an inch or two higher, while all restored/maintained series B have the lower mount brackets. I am recommending a "special task force" be appointed to look into this bracketry before it gets too wide spread and becomes the "new norm".

8hlbracketangle1-jpg.38546