FF: Forks Headlamp Brackets

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What are the proper dimensions of lower headlight brackets F86/2?
Mine appear too short for some reason, positioning the headlight an inch or so too low.

MO63.jpg

Mateusz Musialski

Active Forum User
VOC Member
What are the proper dimensions of lower headlight brackets F86/2?
Mine appear too short for some reason, positioning the headlight an inch or so too low.

I don't know how you measured the length of F86/2.
But I observed that mine were bent a little more towards each side to accommodate the 179CV headlamp.
This bend resulted in lowering the position of the headlight.
When I returned to the correct 74CV headlamp I straightened the F86/2 back, so the position of the headlight was raised.

--
Regards,
Mateusz

Last edited by a moderator:

craig

VOC Member
just wanting to understand why my 8" HL bracketry is lowering my 8" HL about 2" diff than this early B series.

8HLBracketAngle1.jpg

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Craig
Your post no.12 above shows the Girdraulic forks MO63 diagram. Does your bike have Girdraulics fitted or Bramptons as per the photo in post 14 above?
Reason for asking is F86/2 is shorter and for the smaller 6.5" headlight shell where as F86 is longer and for the 8" headlight shell. I cannot remember the difference in length but I think its something like 1/2".

craig

VOC Member
here is my Brampton set with 8" similar to period photo.
The 74CV HL of this same early period, on Girdraulics, seem to mounted even higher with a more pronounced angle.

8HLBracketAngle2.jpg

8HLBracketAngle3.jpg

Last edited:

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
As you all surely know, the open D also has an 8" headlight. I believe the stays are also longer than those for the 7 inch job, probably in the flat sections. When I installed new ones on mine, I encountered a problem. The headlight shell fouled the round portions of these lower stays, forcing the light to point to the heavens. Maybe that's as it should be but I didn't like it. By adding some spacers (distance pieces) to a longer lower bolt, I was able to bring things down to earth.

These are simple parts but the geometry gets a little tricky.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Why not make some longer/shorter stays to put the headlight where you want it to be? A fairly simple job. If you want them to be longer you just need a new piece of tube. Should you find that you want them to be shorter you may even be able to modify the existing stays.

craig

VOC Member
I am not wanting to fabricate headlamp brackets to please my observations, I would like to get the actual dimensions and design of these prominent brackets.
Were there 3 versions? F86? F86/1? F86/2? And if so, what are design and dimensions?

Selfishly I would like dimensions of 1947 B series F86.
Centered crimp?, radius to crimp? length of each end? and overall length?????

TubingCrimpDim2.jpg

craig

VOC Member
It would appear, from MO63, the crimps are radius to one side but this is a series C parts drawing.

MO63BracketCrop.jpg

TubingCrimpDim2.jpg

Last edited: