Head bracket to upper-frame sleeve nut fit.

derek

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I would like to know the correct clearance/fit of the sleeve nuts to upper frame member and cylinder head bracket. I enquired of the spares Co., and they stated that the sleeve nut diameter was 0.498 +- 0.000, and the hole in bracket 0.516, these are thousandths of a inch and seems excessive to me, a clearance of 20/1000" ? I always thought the the fit was a tight location fit; say 1/1000" clearance? Please comment.

fgth130

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Well holding a diameter to ±0.000" is pretty trick, are you sure you've quoted what they've said correctly? and the clearance is never that sloppy. It might pay you to ask them the question again and report back?

nkt267

VOC Member
I always find that the fit is almost a press fit as they can be a b****r :Dto line up sometimes.

clevtrev

VOC Member
I would like to know the correct clearance/fit of the sleeve nuts to upper frame member and cylinder head bracket. I enquired of the spares Co., and they stated that the sleeve nut diameter was 0.498 +- 0.000, and the hole in bracket 0.516, these are thousandths of a inch and seems excessive to me, a clearance of 20/1000" ? I always thought the the fit was a tight location fit; say 1/1000" clearance? Please comment.

Two thou, MAX. And that`s one and a half too many.

derek

VOC Member
Two thou, MAX. And that`s one and a half too many.

I did get it wrong, spares Co. gave me the dia of the 4 mounting holes.
They now quote sleeve nut 0.498" +- 0" : The hole in the bracket 0.5"
+ 0.0003" + 0.0008" . This can still give near to 3/1000" clearance, which I consider too much AS YOU STATE. But this is from company drawings.