Have you renewed your membership?

G

Graham Smith

If you're looking at this website and are wondering why it looks a little different for you today, it could be that the Club hasn't received your 2020 Renewal Form.

Last night, anyone who hadn't renewed their 2020 membership had their access to the restricted areas turned off, so you'll now not see all you're used to.

On top of that, you'll also notice that you're shown a number of Google Ads, which are not displayed for Club Members.

If you think we've made a mistake, please do get in touch with our Membership Secretaries Ron and Linda Thomas at

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Graham, fortunately I have remembered to renew on time for the last thirty five years. I hope I can do the same for a few more years. This brings me to a couple of points. I know.... you are not surprised.
1. People with more than forty years continuous membership deserve to have a "loyalty" discount. Discuss.
2. People who are non-members should not have the privilege of posting P.Ms. NO!! NOT PMS.
2a. Non members should not be able to access historical posts in technical threads.
Why?
1. Personally I think it is thank you from the Vincent family for the loyalty and dedication.
2. The messaging service uses the details of a person's contacts. In the "old days" you needed to be a member to contact anyone, by using the membership list.
2a. If anyone decides they do not want to be a member then ALL historical information should be unavailable.
At one point we had a non-member, "Diogenes" who would ask questions and also give sone unwanted advice. He/she may still be around but is resting. I took exception to some of the posts.
Some people think we are starting a new decade so I will play along with that and say we can also have a few new rules.
Happy New Year

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Mmm.
i see a new secretary standing up.

But i say as les as possible regulations as possible.

After all were just a bunch of black motorcycle riders.

Mothers keep your....
In.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Personally, I'm against giving ANYONE a discount off their membership.

We all pay the same.

Pensioners, unemployed, Exec Members, Full time workers and students. We all pay the same rate.
Agreed. We pay and as part of that we get some benefits - and one of those benefits is access to the the wealth of technical information and support available through the Tech Advice forum.

No pay should equal no access to the VOC intellectual property.

Albervin

VOC Member
Personally, I'm against giving ANYONE a discount off their membership.

We all pay the same.

Pensioners, unemployed, Exec Members, Full time workers and students. We all pay the same rate.
I fully respect your opinion Graham. It was merely a "proposal". One thing to bear in mind though; when the pound was "worth" AUD$1.20 the fees were fine. When the pound was AUD$2.40 it was expensive. In the UK you do not have that issue. I am merely being "advocatus diaboli" as I have no problem with the fees considering the enjoyment I have had from the club.

Tim Kirker

VOC Member
The discount for loyal members shares a lot of its pros and cons with the old discount for those over 65 (in receipt of a pension). And the reason the latter was withdrawn is exactly the reason that the former should not be pursued. As time marches inexorably on, the average age of the club increases, as does the average length of membership. Eventually we will have more members receiving the discount than not, and the subscription structure will not be offering anything for the longstanding members, so much as penalising the new members - as Ian says. Don't go there!

I do agree with Alyn, however, about non-members' access to the Forum. I believe it should be much more restricted than it currently is. And non-members should certainly not be able to PM members. The whole point about PMs is that they are 'private'! But I think the other Tim K might be stretching things to say that access to technical discussion might breach GDPR. It would breach the regs, if such access allowed a non-member to access any personal information about a member.

G

Graham Smith

The discount for loyal members shares a lot of its pros and cons with the old discount for those over 65 (in receipt of a pension). And the reason the latter was withdrawn is exactly the reason that the former should not be pursued. As time marches inexorably on, the average age of the club increases, as does the average length of membership. Eventually we will have more members receiving the discount than not, and the subscription structure will not be offering anything for the longstanding members, so much as penalising the new members - as Ian says. Don't go there!

I do agree with Alyn, however, about non-members' access to the Forum. I believe it should be much more restricted than it currently is. And non-members should certainly not be able to PM members. The whole point about PMs is that they are 'private'! But I think the other Tim K might be stretching things to say that access to technical discussion might breach GDPR. It would breach the regs, if such access allowed a non-member to access any personal information about a member.

Am interested to know what you’d remove to non Members Tim?