Has Someone Else Had This Idea??? "I'll Build My Own"!!!

Seeker0131

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
To some, this might sound like a silly idea, but I want to build my own Shadow with a couple of non stock items. Seeing as I will never have the cash to buy one outright, I figured that I could build mine over a length of time. I figure that money really isn't an object when it comes to a long-term project.

Knowing that it won't have a bill of authenticity (though it would be nice), has anyone ever done this in the past? I know that Coventry built one with all of the spares that it produces in 2007. I am curious if Coventry, or any of the Vincent Owner's, would be bothered if I built my own?

I am trained motorcycle technician, and have worked on a wide variety of motorcycles (not to mention some odd automobiles ((an Allard J2 rebuild being the last)).
It's funny that when I went to school to be certified to work on Harley-Davidson motorcycles, many of class mates didn't know what I was talking about. Let's just say that I had "school" them on the knowledge that I had.

I am open to any information, experience, knowledge, or criticism that you are willing to share.
I find that the difference between knowledge and wisdom is; knowledge is knowing that a Tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put one in a fruit salad!!!
:rolleyes:

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Seeker, Do you mean build your own engine, Or just put together a lot of different parts ? If the last type, lots of Vins are a mixed up load of bits. It's been many years since Vins were made, When I bought my first one in 1965, It was already JUNK. Just how they are worth so much now seems Mad. You see many Vins for sale with Non matching numbers. There are still many engines, Twins as well as Comets, "Under the Bench ". It would be better to look for a Rapide engine and build it Black, There is not much differance. The Comet frame and parts are the same as a Twin, So it would be better to buy a Junk Comet and look out for a twin engine later. Good Luck Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
Coventry?
I understood it was the Vincent Owners Spares Company that completed the task of making a bike from new parts'
Remember also a bike made from parts and not meeting the DVLA Points criteria will have to pass the SVA regulations (the footrests fold the wrong way for a start and can a carb be set that weak and still fire an engine.....and all the rest of the asinine garbage construction regulations that have grown up since 1955)

vibrac

VOC Member
Ah yes one tends to forget under the crushing weight of Eurocrats ,elf and safety twats, and politicians who have never done a real job in their lives that some corners of the world are still free... the well named Libertyville for example

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Vibrac, Are you saying there is no way round this in uk, I have a Comet project, That might get done !! One day, Or should I put it in the BIN. I remember an MOT bloke , Doing an old car that didn't pass the exhaust test, So he put another car next to it, Stuck the pipe up the other car exhaust, All Passed. Cheers Bill.

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
There are people doing this all the time from old crankcases fitted with new parts to new replacement c/c's fitted with original parts, and all new parts. The club Black Shadow newly built from parts was preceded by one built for a private individual called Mark Goodson who should get some credit putting his money where his mouth was. It will not be a staightforward but the method has been demonstrated you will need USD50,000 approx and lots of patience. I have built a Comet from a miscellaneous selection of factory parts and new bits, I now know what it was like at the factory where selective assembly was the order of the day. Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Seeker0131

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I see your point, and that really sucks. Those regulations don't leave a lot of room for innovation, or ideas. I know that European restrictions are tight, but...DAMN!!!

Seeker0131

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I know of the Chicago Section of the VOC, but I did not realize that there is a Minnesota section as well. I haven't officially moved to Minnesota yet, hence the Illinois title. I am working at The Billet Bike Shop for the time being, but the coming winter has me a little worried. I have been reading the information about VOC membership, and would be happy to follow any leads.
Thanks bmetcalf!!!

Seeker0131

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I made note that Coventry still sells matching cases, frame bits, and everything else needed to complete a full bike (I spent a lot of time looking at the parts manifest, and crossing it with images that I have saved with art numbers).
Your frame idea is a good one. I thought that there would be subtle differences in the construction of the two models, but I did note that they look to be the same frame. I definitely would like a twin!!!