Has Someone Else Had This Idea??? "I'll Build My Own"!!!

Seeker0131

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Patience I have...money is tight. I love working on motorcycles, and it is the only thing that I have ever wanted to do.
My last full on project was a 1953 H-D FLH that I put back together for an Uncle. The simplicity of the machine is staggering by comparison, and my redesigning of it came out better than expected from his stand point. It was a chopper to begin with, and he didn't want a full restoration, so he got something in the middle...a bobber with ape's (I would have gone with pull back drag bars).
A visionary never get's to use his full potential on another person's bike...to build a Shadow, there isn't anything that I would change (maybe go with intermediate gearing in the transmission, and Lightning cam's, with two into one exhaust)

Dinny

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Buy an original UFM with number and build a new bike from that with a dating certificate for the frame. No one cares about engine numbers or even has a clue when you have it inspected. I shipped my twin over from the uk. In NV they inspected it and we're only interested in the frame number for the title, the engine number is not even documented. When the guy inspected it I pointed out where the frame number was and he asked me to read it out to him......
i think new crankcases come with different numbers and that would be fine to register.

vibrac

VOC Member
The correct proceedure with a new engine is to contact the VOC machine registrar and he will issue you with a number thats what I did with our racing twin

Albervin

VOC Member
A friend here in Australia was motivated by the International Rally in 2007. He started putting the word out that he was building a Rapide from the sump plug up. Despite many set backs he is now on the home straight and just needs a few parts before assembly. So, if there is anyone out there with a a good useable ET221, ET17/2 plus G72s please send me a PM and I will put you in touch with this very dedicated person.

pcavallo

VOC Member
Buy an original UFM with number and build a new bike from that with a dating certificate for the frame. No one cares about engine numbers or even has a clue when you have it inspected. I shipped my twin over from the uk. In NV they inspected it and we're only interested in the frame number for the title, the engine number is not even documented. When the guy inspected it I pointed out where the frame number was and he asked me to read it out to him......
i think new crankcases come with different numbers and that would be fine to register.

I apologize for the dislike, I just wanted to thank and like, it's an useful information, but I tapped this damn Ipad in the wrong place!

Dinny

VOC Member
No worries I know what you mean about iPad typing.

I'm not sure what people do with new cc numbers, I think the club stamps there's but what does everyone else do? My understanding is as the builder you can stamp it with anything as long as its different to the factory format.

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes you can stamp to any format but having one issued by the VOC means
its independently recorded for history security and authenticity

davidd

VOC Member
I have to say I do not think building from scratch is a good idea. I think it is very expensive and takes an excess of mechanical talent and time. I have seen many of these projects finished and sold by others (after a distress sale) over the years. Although there are many owners in the Club right now that have built Vincents from basket cases, in the past ten years, basket cases do not seem to sell to Vincent owners. I know of three matching number basket cases for sale, one Rapide (rolling basket) and two Shadows. The prices are reasonable, but there are two things at play: no one wants to pay a reasonable price, and no one wants to build a basket case.

If you want to ride a Vincent you need to have $25-30K in your sock draw. If you do not, buying two case halves or two cams with the idea you can self finance the project one purchase at a time will probably lead to tears.

David

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
David,David,David, You have got to have a dream, (sounds like a song) With a bit of help and a bit of luck, I have had many dreams come true. My brother Ron, Who was a Welder, Built an A twin from a box of bits costing £14 Which won smartest A in 1964. I built a Lightning rep in 1980 and raced for 7 years from a load of broken bits that came from Africa. Seeker sounds like he could be a good mechanic, But anybody can do it if they realy want to. Evan if they change there mind, I don't think they would make a loss on money, I had some money in the bank a few years ago and it made 0.1 % !! Good Luck To Them. Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
Hello Vibrac, Are you saying there is no way round this in uk, I have a Comet project, That might get done !! One day, Or should I put it in the BIN. I remember an MOT bloke , Doing an old car that didn't pass the exhaust test, So he put another car next to it, Stuck the pipe up the other car exhaust, All Passed. Cheers Bill.

Either go for a newly registered bike with a Q plate read the latest regulations screw the carb down weak and prepare for a lot of hassel for single vehicle aproval (If the frame is new thats the only way to go)
Or get an age related number so long as the club can give you an age certificate on the frame (UFM) with authentication like a photo of frame & engine number then MOT on that number then fill in a V55/5 and perhaps have an inspection
I just got a Scott on age related 27 frame 29 engine