Harry Lindsay

Prince Duster

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Very sad to learn from Ireland that Harry Lindsay has passed away at the age of 92. With the help of the late Henry Martini, Gerry Jenkinson and I travelled to Wicklow two years ago to interview Harry for our documentary, SpeedisExpensive. As is well-known, he set the Irish motorcycle speed record of 143mph on Gunga Din in 1953 – which remained unbeaten until the 1970s – he campaigned Bultacos with great success and was the factory's main agent in Ireland. On camera, we covered his record-setting runs, his friendship with Philip Vincent and riding the super-charged Dearden Lightning. ‘Most of the men who would really appreciate a Vincent – couldn’t afford one,’ he told us. RIP Harry. David Lancaster

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-77.jpg
    FullSizeRender-77.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 34

Magnetoman

VOC Member
I met Harry 20 years ago when I attended my first Irish Rally, and an annual stop at his estate in Blessington was mandatory in subsequent years. Harry had a well-developed, and very dry, sense of humor that he often deployed, as well as a huge number of interesting experiences to recount. He was an avid motorcyclist and continued riding into his 80s, but started selling off his collection six years ago at about the same time he produced his biography 'The Seanachie of Motorcycling'. I certainly will miss him.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Very sad indeed. If I had a fraction of the motorcycle adventures he had, I would have had a full motorcycling life.