Hans "Johnny" Edwards 1950 Photo

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I don't recall seeing this photo before. Hans "Johnny" Edwards, winner of the Grouse Mountain Speed Hill Climb June 1950:

1950 Johnny Edwards 1st Grouse Mtn Hill Climb.jpg

David

davidd

VOC Member
Love the possition of the Horn.......Was it there to warn spectators or to ward off wandering wildlife..........:)

Greg,

I thought the same. But, it occurred to me that he may have done away with the footrest plate where the horn would have mounted. I am not sure why, but it looks like a rectangular tube in its place.

David

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
This must before he set sail for the UK, I think you will find when Johnny came to the UK one of the Vincent guy now deceased John Finnemore said we can not call you Hans here in the Uk from now on you are Johnny

Robert Watson

VOC Member
The bike he is on was either /312 or /314 , I never remember which one. Originally sold here in Vancouver, and I think bought used by Hans. He decided he wanted to go to the UK and work at Vincents, so packed the bike of a freighter and booked passage on the same ship. Apparently had it in the ships san where he did quite a bit of work on it on the way over, and arrived at Vincents and asked for a job. he ended up in the draughting office.

The bike has not been heard of since he sold it. the other one is here in BC, and is currently in the Dreamcycle museum near Sorrento BC

http://www.dreamcycle.ca/

Unfortunately only bikes for sale pictures, not much else on the website.

Gingergeezer

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
This must before he set sail for the UK, I think you will find when Johnny came to the UK one of the Vincent guy now deceased John Finnemore said we can not call you Hans here in the Uk from now on you are Johnny
He was called John in Canada and it made sense to keep it that way when he got to the UK after the factory had offered him a job. He reverted back to Hans post Vincent days.
Cheers
Ferdinand Edwards (eldest son)

Peter Fox

Forum User
VOC Member
He was called John in Canada and it made sense to keep it that way when he got to the UK after the factory had offered him a job. He reverted back to Hans post Vincent days.
Cheers
Ferdinand Edwards (eldest son)
I was very sorry to hear that Hans/Johnny is no longer with us. My late uncle told me that he had an unpleasant illness and I would like to pass sincere condolence to his son Ferdinand (who I didn't know existed). I was under the impression that Hans/Johnny had immigrated to UK from Austria shortly before WW2. He was ‘best friend’ of my late Uncle Jack Fox (also a Vin series B owner in later life and which he sold/exported to Hans in Canada. It had a Lucas KVFTT magneto fitted when I last rode it). My family always referred to him as Johnny. I was first introduced to Hans as a small boy when he ran a photography shop in Stevenage Old Town High Street (he used to employ a photographer called Fred Sellens). He took me for some runs in a beautiful Packard car which he had immaculately restored (I think he had two) and were an extrememly unusual sight on the roads of Hertfordshire! Hans was also a keen Aeromodeller (like me). Last I heard… about 3-4 years ago he was in failing health. When I last saw him I asked if he preferred to be called Johnny or Hans and he replied emphatically the latter! I have a photo of (i'm pretty sure) Stirling Moss at speed in a racing car taken by Hans.

Last edited:

Leicafan

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I was very sorry to hear that Hans/Johnny is no longer with us. My late uncle told me that he had an unpleasant illness and I would like to pass sincere condolence to his son Ferdinand (who I didn't know existed). I was under the impression that Hans/Johnny had immigrated to UK from Austria shortly before WW2. He was ‘best friend’ of my late Uncle Jack Fox (also a Vin series B owner in later life and which he sold/exported to Hans in Canada. It had a Lucas KVFTT magneto fitted when I last rode it). My family always referred to him as Johnny. I was first introduced to Hans as a small boy when he ran a photography shop in Stevenage Old Town High Street (he used to employ a photographer called Fred Sellens). He took me for some runs in a beautiful Packard car which he had immaculately restored (I think he had two) and were an extrememly unusual sight on the roads of Hertfordshire! Hans was also a keen Aeromodeller (like me). Last I heard… about 3-4 years ago he was in failing health. When I last saw him I asked if he preferred to be called Johnny or Hans and he replied emphatically the latter! I have a photo of (i'm pretty sure) Stirling Moss at speed in a racing car taken by Hans.
Actually he had 3 sons, Ferdi, Eugine and Max ( maxine) with his first wife who he later divorced . I would like to know where his sons are now. They used to Live near Baldock Herts .

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Please post that photo.