Handle?

mkmachine

Forum User
VOC Member
I feel like a total novice asking this question, but here goes. Recently I've come across two pictures (different bikes) that show what looks like a vertical hand lever that looks like it's attached to the left foot rest. What the heck is that for? Shifting? Brake? Espresso machine?

Gene Nehring

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I feel like a total novice asking this question, but here goes. Recently I've come across two pictures (different bikes) that show what looks like a vertical hand lever that looks like it's attached to the left foot rest. What the heck is that for? Shifting? Brake? Espresso machine?
Espresso Machine sounds good to me. The series D does look like it could be a fancy Espresso Machine.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
It's a conversation creation addition

gerryw

New Forum User
VOC Member
I am just now talking to Dave Hills to order this device, as I have modified my Rapide with a 18 “ rear wheel, I struggle to lift it onto the rear stand, I have heard they already a worthy addition??

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The Dave Hills stand does not use the standard D handle, It has a bit welded on the stand,
You push down with your foot, Some have to weld a bit on the legs or chop a bit off, For easy use,
Very good !!.
This is a standard D with Handle.

Attachments

• IMG_20200728_204724 (2).jpg
    IMG_20200728_204724 (2).jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 39

bmetcalf

VOC Member
This is from Dave when I asked about ordering:

This is the measurement I would like please. With your bike leaning against the wall and as upright as possible, measure from the centre of the rear pivot down to the ground. If you do this both sides, them add the two figures together and then divide by two this will give you a pretty accurate answer. Once I know this dimension I can calculate the stands leg length.

This accounts for tire diameter and spring combinations.

My stand, with holes added:

Hills Stand.jpg

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
I am just now talking to Dave Hills to order this device, as I have modified my Rapide with a 18 “ rear wheel, I struggle to lift it onto the rear stand, I have heard they already a worthy addition??
go for a stainless one i did painted it black after as the only reason is the stand is low down and get covered by all sorts of shit like salt the stuff that helps create the patina of rust.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Mr mkmachine,

Commuting 100 miles a day for 2.5 years on my '52 Rapide while in the RAF at Wittering in the late 1970s, I needed a good luggage-rack/panniers/top-box and the ability to get the bike on a centre-stand safely and easily in all weathers. The solution was based on a beefed-up Series D centre stand and a longer handle supplied by ClevTrev and a quality rack designed by Tony Wheatley. The next posting was 3 years in Germany with the prospect of a few commutes back to the UK and lots of continental rallies. So that rig was left on the Rapide - and came in especially useful for the International Rally in 2003 (with pillion passenger) - organised by those intrepid Vancouver guys and gals.

The rig is still there to this day, and I can still heave the plot on to its centre-stand before dismounting :) And yes, I guess it could be used as an emergency brake!

What's not to like? (Except that at 40+ years, it's probably out of warranty now... ).

A couple of photos attached.

Peter B

Attachments

• Rapide MOC145 Aug 07.jpg
    Rapide MOC145 Aug 07.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Rapide MOC145 Aug 07 (1).jpg
    Rapide MOC145 Aug 07 (1).jpg
    330 KB · Views: 35