Handle Bar Clamps B20 or FF31

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I do not know about the part numbers but surely the Brampton specific handle bar clamps use those lovely countersunk hexagon bolts whereas the girdraulic uses the not so pretty studs and nuts, I am sure in times of need due unavailability you could use either on either but if you can avoid it I would.

I succumbed to fashion and used dome nuts on top of my FF31's.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
According to my edition of KTB B20 Girdraulics handle bar clip was also used on the Vincent pannier system as a clamp on the RFM bottom frame tube. Therefore 'B' presumably for 'bag'. All the other components for this system are designated 'B'

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
Here is the elusive B20 !!
MO43PANNIEREQUIPMENT.jpg

Dinny

VOC Member
My understanding is the ones pictured by A-BCD are for early B Bramptons, Later B's have the clamps with B20 cast in but are countersunk for the earlier bolts. The Girdraulics have the cast B20 type but with no countersink.

My early 49 B has countersunk B20's which I think are correct.

Anyway, many theories have not panned out so at the end of the day, they help you go round corners whichever you have. Just make sure they are tight......

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
I would say that probably Bramptons fitted with the Girdraulic B20 have had them fitted later ??
BramptonFF31.jpg

Dinny

VOC Member
B20 Modified?

You maybe correct and mine may have been modified but it does say Brampton caps will not fit Girdraulics. See below from Mikes website, mine are B20 type 1's on bramptons with the bolts you described and the clamps countersunk? Mine came with the bike and not from Mike.

http://www.mikesvincentparts.com/VINCENT PARTS.htm

CheersMark

Last edited:

Vic Youel

Non-VOC Member
Many thanks for all the excellent responses especially for the drawings I awoke to find this morning; found all the material in KtB in the end. On further perusal of my orange covered parts list I discovered a whole listing of pannier parts lits with many numbered B parts including two B20 pannier pivot caps. What a smashing picture of MO43 subscribed above too.

Furthermore the included price list in my parts list gave the B20 as 5 shillings and 8 pence for the series C whereas for the series B the FF31 was listed as 2 bob (shillings).

So now no doubt in my mind the FF21 is the correct part for the series B and for later series C's and B never stood for Brampton either.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Dome Nuts

I remembered something and tried to look it up in MPH but without success but this is the gist of it. One of our lady members had lovely dome nuts fitted to her handle bar clamps. She went over a large bump and the front brake cable neatly hooked itself around the dome nut and jammed the brake on solid. The moral - check the lie of the brake cable vis a vis dome nuts.

Last edited:

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
Wouldn't the cable be more likely to slide over dome nuts than sharp-cornered hexagons ??