Handle Bar Clamps B20 or FF31

Vic Youel

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Some handle bar clamps have the cast in past number B20 but are known by part number FF21. Many I have seen do not have the embossed part number.

A friend with a series B would appreciate confirmation as to which cap or clamp should be fitted to Bramptons; can anybody shed some light, is the B20 an early part perhaps even used on series A machines?

Vic

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
B20 =ff21 are for Girdraulics will fit Bramptons but not so neat as the correct ones that are not marked but are lot thinner

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
These are Series B Brampton fork handlebar clamps FF31 :
Bramptonhandlebarclamps.jpg

Vic Youel

Non-VOC Member
Thank you gentlemen, for the replies but I am still rather confused. I know I've seen the reference in KtB but still cannot find it.

I am still wondering about the origin of the B20 number. One could jump to the conclusion that B(Brampton)20 would be for series B, early C's and perhaps A's whilst the smooth thinner ones are intended for later C's. I have done some more studying.

My Harper's blue covered parts list shows the part as B20 on drawing MO63 and in the listing FF31 is described as replacing B20.

My earlier faded orange covered original Vincent parts list also shows B20 on MO63 and is listed as such in the girdraulics section.
Then in the 1952 supplement the B20 is replaced by the FF31.

So would it be safe to assume that the embossed B20 type is correct for series B and not as some as you have suggested?

Vic

Albervin

VOC Member
Yup. Identical to those on my 1948 B Rapide. Remember the parts list is not a bible or even remotely correct in some areas.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I do not know about the part numbers but surely the Brampton specific handle bar clamps use those lovely countersunk hexagon bolts whereas the girdraulic uses the not so pretty studs and nuts, I am sure in times of need due unavailability you could use either on either but if you can avoid it I would.

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
Here's the KTB p22 reference - Eddie Stevens notes that the Girdraulic clamps are bronze !!
KTBp22.jpg