Half time pinion nut

redbloke1956

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Guys,
I cannot find a diagram showing the retaining nut for the half time pinion ET49, I am trying to find out if the nut has a washer between it and ET49?
Any help appreciated

Kevin

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
From memory I don't recall ever fitting a washer between the retaining nut and half-time pinion. Clearance between the nut and the timing cover is tight and a washer would make this worse. As an aside I try and time the cams and tighten this not with one cylinder off so that I can properly lock up the engine using a dummy gudgeon pin. I don't know if the nut is prone to loosening but I wouldn't want to risk it. Cheers David

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
No washer fitted as standard but a thin locktab fitted to late BSA twins can be made to fit and is a good idea! Drawing MO 11 part no. E80, by the way.

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
From memory I don't recall ever fitting a washer between the retaining nut and half-time pinion. Clearance between the nut and the timing cover is tight and a washer would make this worse. As an aside I try and time the cams and tighten this not with one cylinder off so that I can properly lock up the engine using a dummy gudgeon pin. I don't know if the nut is prone to loosening but I wouldn't want to risk it. Cheers David

Thanks David, I tried tightening with ONE cylinder off and was confused...then realised it is a Comet:confused: ;-)