Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think a Drummond round bed has its qualities
1540319235453.png

I made a lot of my early Vin bits on one:cool:

oexing

VOC Member
. . . . might be acceptable to masochists - or when you are still very young and no money but loads of time . . . .

Vic

vibrac

VOC Member
You dont worry about a few dinky drive gears when you have an overhead drive belt passing your ear at 40mph when I had my first engineering apprenticeship in a machine shop if I moaned about things the old guys would say "You dont know how lucky you are"
1540365252906.png

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I think a Drummond round bed has its qualitiesView attachment 24544
I made a lot of my early Vin bits on one:cool:
My brother had one of these. It was given to him by someone in the toolroom when he was an apprentice over 50 years ago. He made eccentric bronze bushes to change the gearbox shaft centres in my Vintage Sunbeam to allow the use of different gears to convert it from hand to foot change. He raced my Sunbeam in Vintage meetings with some success. It is amazing what you can do with simple equipment and requisite skills. The Drummond eventually found a space in my garage when John bought a Boxford. I don't have great machining skills but when building a bike it is amazing how often even a simple lathe is useful even if it is just for simple jobs like making or shortening a spacer, etc. I now have a Boxford lathe too. It just fits in a space in my small garage and that is better and even more useful.
Who has space or money to buy the wonderful machining centre shown in the video? Perhaps most of us amateur machinists wouldn't even like to afford the tooling never mind the machine itself and installation costs.
I'd recommend anyone who does their own bike builds to get a small lathe even if it is cheap and cheerful. If you don't have the skills many areas have evening classes for would be hobby machinists and you probably have friends that could quickly show you how to safely do simple things.

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I am trying to modify a wood lathe to do basic metal turning = No money and no space !.
Also have bought a boring machine which I think will do a bit of Milling, With an X Y table.
Trying to keep the old brain going !. Cheers Bill.