H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres H8AS Brake shoe relining

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Paul, if that question is addressed to me then I phoned them to ask year ago and was told that they are called "asbestos free linings", no more information available. All I can say is that those who have used them seem happy. I should be back in time for the GCM and I expect that new batch should be ready by then.

davidd

VOC Member
Rivets are generally used on today's linings when brake temperatures are anticipated to exceed 2000 degrees F. Adhesive technology today is quite good and I have used bonding only to retain the linings on the race bikes. Vincent brakes rarely get very hot even when racing.

David

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Re bonded on linings. They are fine if the machine is not stored for any length of time in damp conditions.
If this happens, atmospheric moisture wicks into the lining material and causes corrosion between the shoe and lining, this then forces the lining off the shoe. I've experienced this on several bikes and cars that I have restored, where the vehicles in question have been in long term storage, it even happens to disc braked types. Personally I prefer riveted linings for this reason.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
The real stuff, probably full of asbestos.

I only have 3 pieces of AM4 and the 4th gone missing somewhere.
I have often wondered about using AM4 on the leading shoe and MR4 on the trailing shoe on my Shadow, as the front brake could be better.

Sorry, not for sale.

View attachment 43669
Simon, did you do this

I have 8 shoes just relined with some material I had, 4 are a Ferodo product with lots of shiny metal bits and the other are Britax, what I suspect were replacements linings for Vincent shoes. I and contemplating the metallic ones on the leading shoe and the other on the trailing. Did you end up doing that??

Robert

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Simon, did you do this

I have 8 shoes just relined with some material I had, 4 are a Ferodo product with lots of shiny metal bits and the other are Britax, what I suspect were replacements linings for Vincent shoes. I and contemplating the metallic ones on the leading shoe and the other on the trailing. Did you end up doing that??

Robert
Robert
Sorry but I never got around to trying it. It's on the to do list - I just need to find the list.

Simon

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
My OZ Rapide came with one red and on green lining on each brake. Those brakes stopped very well, almost too well.
I recall reading in MPH that this was a preferred set up in the 1980s. The green are Ferodo but I do not recall what type the red linings are. I recall reading that the red linings worked from a lower temp than the green so you still had decent brakes with both cold and hot riding situations.
I tried but was never able to outride those brakes. I did outride the stock1975 Commando front disc fairly easily by subjecting it to the same kind of use. That says something about 1940s design Vincent brakes.
Sadly, after about 50,000 miles the wonderful brakes were worn out.
I had some new green Ferodo linings from Vintage Brake in the US on hand.
Those were bonded onto the old shoes by a local firm.
After a bit of fettling they seem to work just as well as the old setup.

Glen

vibrac

VOC Member
I get my brake shoes relined by Saftek quick and easy I dont know what their AM4 substitute is but it works fine they do a road mixture as well I should try it in the other trailing shoes