H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres H8AS Brake shoe relining

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
20210722_H8ASWornShoes.jpg
I require renewed brake shoes as soon as possible.
Rivets cause squealing when worn to that point.
I am happy with H8AS shoes for the moderate riding around here.
No one seems to have these in inventory, Norman has responded with some shoes in work.

Is it practical for a home shop to reline these, certainly i have done vintage car brakes using a friends rivet machine 30 years ago.
Is there an informative article written in the last 5 years or less?
What friction material do you use?
From who do you purchase fiction material and rivets?
Maybe glue is better, same questions.

Maybe VOC spares is my best answer, but i would have to ship from USA.
Does VOC reline and return your shoes or are you issued someone elses cores.
Are they arced to proper drum size?
Priced per shoe or per pair?

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Neal Videan (V3 adverts n MPH) can supply updated/strengthened brake shoes complete with bonded linings. Time traveller (aka Norman the Wizard) can also do the same. I understand BOTH have stock on hand

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Don't Glue them unless you really know what you are doing,
I had an old glued set come off years ago,
Don't know who did them , Just old spares I bought,
Lucky it was the rear brake,
Just like an Hydraulic brake, If you pumped it, Some times worked , Sometimes NOT !,
The linings were going round and if they stopped in the right place, They worked,
If they stopped where the cam is , They Didn't !!.

Also had a set come unglued on a Brand new "Big Datsun Car",
The Boss thought I had been Racing it.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Back in Chicago 30 years ago, I had a truck brake shop glue on linings and they arced them on a machine set up for fixed pivot shoes. I left my wheels with them and marked the drums to keep track of which shoes belonged where. I wish I had asked to see the arcing machine. I also had clutch linings glued on here: https://brakeandequipment.com/machine-shop/ The guy recognized my Vin clutch shoes immediately; he had done work for Bob Chantland before!

Have you checked http://whitepost.com/brake-sleeving-rebuilding-services/ ?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I don't know of anybody who sells Vincent brake linings loose for you to then rivet on yourself.
I use Saftek in Yorkshire, UK and I have never waited more than a week for them to fit linings and post back to me. They have several different grades depending on your requirement and they glue them on with the correct adhesive. I doubt very much that they would post to USA though.

Your best bet if your brake shoes are OK is to find somebody local to you in USA to fit oversize linings and then arc the brakes to fit your specific drums.

G

Graham Smith

Most of the guys round my neck of the woods use these guys…

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
FWIW, I think I got my AM4 linings from the VOCSC, but it was >30 years ago.
Yes they did as I remember buying some as well when I first got my Rapide nearly 30 years ago, but the VOCS don't list linings on their website anymore and have not for a long time, just recon exchange shoes already lined.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The real stuff, probably full of asbestos.

I only have 3 pieces of AM4 and the 4th gone missing somewhere.
I have often wondered about using AM4 on the leading shoe and MR4 on the trailing shoe on my Shadow, as the front brake could be better.

Sorry, not for sale.

Img_4553.jpg