Gunga Din Video

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It would have had Bramptons and HRD cases too assuming it would not be used as a test bed for the Series C Black Shadow, the Black Lightning and the Vincent Car.

David

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
It would have had Bramptons and HRD cases too assuming it would not be used as a test bed for the Series C Black Shadow, the Black Lightning and the Vincent Car.

David

Looks like a really nice machine, what part of it has anything to do with the original Gunga Din?

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
"Not a Lot" (as they say up north)but the story adds a lot to the price tag of a non matching numbered BITZER . The finish is fantastic when we saw it at 2011 international, wasn't around as I believe it was fired up.
Bananaman

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Any thing new at Vincents went on GNK564 the factory hack , and Gunga Din and George Browns, Grey Flash,so they were up dated ever month or two summit up they were test beds, but while this is going on there was always a Shadow, Rapide, Or Comet, being tested for loan to the press but these were sold off after the press had handed them back ,

Last edited:

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I believe it is fair to say that it is mostly the parts on the bike as last modified by the Works and then eventually sold from Harpers (?) to the guy in the US that proceeded to break it up. IMHO, that's pretty good history and made it worth restoring to its present condition. Worth the money? It was to Bar, but I couldn't even afford to buy my Rapide now.

davidd

VOC Member
Any thing new at Vincents went on GNK564 the factory hack , and Gunga Din and George Browns, Grey Flash,so they were up dated ever month or two summit up they were test beds, but while this is going on there was always a Shadow, Rapide, Or Comet, being tested for loan to the press but these were sold off after the press had handed them back ,

I could not agree more with David. I believe it was Ted Davis who damaged the cases when testing the car. He apparently was told to replace the cases on the engine and put it back in the bike. Thus, this is how the bike appeared for the rest of its existence. Exactly as it had left the Racing Department at the Factory. I would call that "Original" meaning it was a Factory modification. I think it is too much to require a Factory race bike to be in exactly the same condition as it was on its initial start up in order to qualify as "Original."

Tom Pelky bought the bike for two hundred Pounds Sterling when no one in the Club would and parted it out. Keith went to every person who purchased parts and bought then all back. I know that Dave Matson bought the heads, for example and he returned them. Same for the mag and all the components that were scattered. It was quite a feat. I have heard folks complain that it is not original, but I know of no other Vincent that claims to have a single nut or bolt from this bike.

David

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Gunga Dins Engine was put in the Vincent three wheeler, Ted Davis took it to Snetterton raceway in 1955 and was blown up in a big way only the heads could be used again a guy I knew was with Ted at the time she was left in that condition for some years, then was rebuilt with new parts I think the old heads were used I think it was rebuilt by George Rose the last time I saw Gunga Din in the UK 1958 was in Harpers Spares shop in Whinbush Road, Hitchin, which was five miles north of Stevenage the asking price was 250 Pounds, David

Last edited:

ossie

VOC Member
when a mr Chapman rebuilt my front wheel he used a bolt from mighty mouse so I must have M/M in my possession but don,t tell BRIAN.
OSSIE