Michael Vane-Hunt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
20220115_084800.jpg
20220115_085002.jpg

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
A couple of correct guesses/answers, His father owned a Black Prince, and as a young lad Prince Duster had the job of polishing it, thus proving the theory that apples do not fall far from the tree that created them.

Prince Duster

VOC Member
Ha! Unmasked, kind of. As those who recall my father Alan will attest, he didn't spend too much time dusting his Black Prince. Just riding it - rarely fast, but often very far. And as a nipper I did indeed clean it and picked up servicing basics and travel on the back.
Later, we headed to French and German rallies on the bikes together. When I joined the Forum the Prince was in my care, hence the moniker. Alan's earlier Vincent, a very early B Rapide which Bryan Phillips later owned, was sold to buy the Prince in the early 60s and is in the garage here.
Alan and Audrey went as far as Italy and Yugoslavia on the Rap during the mid and late 1950s.
I still wonder what the rural folk of these lands made of a group of 4-5 young British couples, on Stevenage twins, ploughing their way through their battle-scared countries. Too late to find out.
Shot shows myself and the old man on the Prince at the Lion Rally, Belgium 1973.
Happy New Year to all on here, safe riding in 2022.
David Lancaster.

Attachments

• Alan Lancaster and David  Belgium Lion Rally 1973 .jpg
    Alan Lancaster and David Belgium Lion Rally 1973 .jpg
    502.8 KB · Views: 32

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Well it was not my intention to blow your cover, but once the picture of Alan at the Emperor was posted the secret was out, I have to say Wednesday club nights there back in the early 80s were really good nights, a great crowd, and for me, the ride back home through the pitch black Burnham Beeches was shall we say “interesting” with Miller lighting and after a couple of beers, but don’t tell the feds! No longer possible as the through roads are now closed to vehicles.

Prince Duster

VOC Member
Cover blown a long while ago 007... Yes, agree: WLS meets were great fun back then. Still fun. Around the same time you and Sue were navigating South Bucks ill met by moonlight, Tony Wheatley would be freaking my friend Pete out, giving him a lift home from the Emperor. Pete was the drummer in our band, who lived opposite Tony in Hillingdon by my old school, and he still talks about journeys back after rehearsals in Tony's Mini. Roundabouts would be taken on the right, not the left. 'That mate of your dad's is fu*** ing bonkers!' Pete would tell me a few days later.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Well not quite correct, I was with wife No1 back then, and she was of the opinion that grown men should not be riding around on motorcycles, thinking we were still teenagers, and what’s more, that we should all bloody well grow up.
In the end she met a real grown up person that didn’t ride motorcycles, and I met Sue, who just happens to love motorcycles, how good is that.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Apologies for blowing cover, but I must have thought the answer had already been given. Shocking for me, but I had remembered that Prince Duster was David.