ET: Engine (Twin) Grosset Part Needed - PLEASE

kerry

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I need the lower Grosset (Yamaha) double sprocket/gear and the circlip for the sprag/electric starter, I am told it is a Yamaha part ?
Would anyone know the part number PLEASE or who has these parts, apparently the usual Gentleman does not have them.
Thank you. Kerry.

Attachments

• P1030017.JPG
    P1030017.JPG
    314.1 KB · Views: 43

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I need the lower Grosset (Yamaha) double sprocket/gear and the circlip for the sprag/electric starter, I am told it is a Yamaha part ?
Would anyone know the part number PLEASE or who has these parts, apparently the usual Gentleman does not have them.
Thank you. Kerry.
Have you asked Francois?

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Thank you. Kerry.
Sorry I am unable to help you Kerry, other than to suggest Francois or Trevor, but as a user of the Grosset electric start I would be very interested to learn what caused the failure of this gear, that is if you can pin point it, or did it simply fail in usage for no apparent reason?
Cheers
Peter

kerry

VOC Member
Hello Peter, and (Bazlerker) The reason it went is a mystery as it was recently completely done by an expert, lasted about two starts only but failed when trying to kick, I have had a D Shadow with the same ES for years and never had a problem, on this bike it has happened twice in one month? Both times trying to kick start it, Made a clanking and everything locked up, this meant that as last time again the chain had to be disconnected from the rear wheel in order to move the bike! Good job the link was in a visible place.
I was not aware Grosset would sell the parts to anyone so I will google him and hope he can help. If anyone has any ideas please advise, Incidentally, the 'circlip' had come off so everyone will say that was the reason for failure but I don't think so, the circlip was undamaged but off, the expert did not fit a new one as it was not available but both large cog and this as shown in my photo shown were replaced, I would hope for a better type of circlip and still like the Yamaha part number?
Thanks, Kerry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Francois Grosset will let you have anything you need or Trevor Southwell has repaired my sprag-clutch sprocket by return of post time.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
OK, so firstly I am not casting any aspersions on expert installer, but I was fortunate enough to have my electric start installed by Francois Grosset, and was able to watch and learn from the process, and mine has been faultless so far, I really hope this continues, my Rapide is in a standard state of tune, with type Amal type 29s well set up, and running a BT-H mag, no back fires, never use the decompression lever as Francois advices against.
Good Luck
Peter

Last edited by a moderator:

kerry

VOC Member
OK, so firstly I am not casting any aspersions on expert installer, but I was fortunate enough to have my electric start installed by Francois Grosset, and was able to watch and learn from the process, and mine has been faultless so far, I really hope this continues, my Rapide is in a standard state of tune, with type Amal type 29s well set up, and running a B-TH mag, no back fires, never use the decompression lever as Francois advices against.
Good Luck
Peter
Hi Peter,
As I said I had no trouble with my other bike, the expert who repaired this has fitted several and none have ever given problems and I believe they are excellent and reliable but on this one bike ! wish I knew as I can fit a new cog myself but fear a third failure !
Kerry.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I'm not sure which gear this is but when they were first devloped I noticed that one of the gears was sintered. That is how they make Oilite. I had never heard of sinered gears but when I looked into it I found that items like con rods and rocker were also made by sintering; so much tougher that I would ever expected. Have you looked at the two failed gears and are they sintered? I'm just wondering if there has been a faulty batch.

kerry

VOC Member
The Engineer expert did think this, so maybe you are right, I guess I will have to get another, and do it all again, it is actually not too difficult, hence hoping for the Yamaha part number so I get one from another batch perhaps, I cannot find this in a grosset parts list though.
Many thanks.