ET: Engine (Twin) Grosset Part Needed - PLEASE

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The Engineer expert did think this, so maybe you are right, I guess I will have to get another, and do it all again, it is actually not too difficult, hence hoping for the Yamaha part number so I get one from another batch perhaps, I cannot find this in a grosset parts list though.
Many thanks.
Francois speaks excellent english…just call him

craig

VOC Member
Hi Kerry , can you post pictures of this mechanism so those of us who have not seen it apart can learn ?

kerry

VOC Member
Hi Kerry , can you post pictures of this mechanism so those of us who have not seen it apart can learn ?
When I get it sorted, yes, not a difficult job though, much easier than I thought, that said to install from new I would not be capable off, but dismantling/repairing is straight forward.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I doubt very much that Francois will promote purchasing a Yamaha part from another source, and I also doubt that Yamaha would suffer from a bad batch of anything, that is why they, and the other big three eclipsed the British motorcycle industry back in the day, quality control etc.

Cyborg

VOC Member
OK, so firstly I am not casting any aspersions on expert installer, but I was fortunate enough to have my electric start installed by Francois Grosset, and was able to watch and learn from the process, and mine has been faultless so far, I really hope this continues, my Rapide is in a standard state of tune, with type Amal type 29s well set up, and running a B-TH mag, no back fires, never use the decompression lever as Francois advices against.
Good Luck
Peter
Why would he advise against using the decompressor?

Cyborg

VOC Member
I'm not sure which gear this is but when they were first devloped I noticed that one of the gears was sintered. That is how they make Oilite. I had never heard of sinered gears but when I looked into it I found that items like con rods and rocker were also made by sintering; so much tougher that I would ever expected. Have you looked at the two failed gears and are they sintered? I'm just wondering if there has been a faulty batch.

I hazard a guess the most gears made for Japanese motorcycles are sintered.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Why would he advise against using the decompressor?
I really have no idea, perhaps he just considers that the gearing is such that it is not necessary, or does it increase the chances of a backfire with the exhaust valve lifted of the seat, it is the exhaust valve isn’t it? I suppose I should have enquired, but my observation is with my bike it is not necessary to do so.

craig

VOC Member
According to my parts list, there are two double gears
Big reductor double gear ES3
Small reductor double gear ES4
Which gear is this broken?