We say automatic steel...

Certainly not carbon over 0.25%
Let alone silversteel.
Although its a perfect fit....

Kevin Emery

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello

I have one of these kits fitted to my bike. Very nice kit it is too. Well engineered and turns the engine over beautifully. But, it is very difficult to start the engine. The engine turns over very fast but it does not start. When I get fed up with turning it over with the starter I kick start it and it generally starts first time. This makes no sense!

This seems to be caused by the starter motor running draining power to the Magneto. This should not be happening as they are electrically isolated. The bike is fitted with an Alton magneto.

Has anyone had this problem? Did you find the cause?

Regards
Kevin

stu spalding

VOC Member
Hi Kerry, you may find, after a bit of use, that the pin has a step in it where it has started to shear and can't be knocked out. The only thing to do is complete the shearing in a vice before fitting the new pin. Sounds brutal I know, but it's the only option. Cheers, Stu.

Albervin

VOC Member
Kerry, is the motor actually turning over or is it just the starter motor? Check the nylon gear isn't stripped or the shear pin isn't broken.. Always use the valve lifter when engine is cold to start and NEVER use a kill switch to stop. I have found some shear pins are a bit too thick, they need to be a light push fit and nothing more.

deejay499

VOC Member
Appreciate your wisdom, and tip on not opening the throttle, truth is I am a bit scared to put a starter motor against all that compression on a Vincent, it starts easily though with a kick or two, stopping on mine is with a car type ignition switch which I assume is OK or should I use the valve lifter ? still need to know where to buy spare shear pins and are they easy to fit, is there any video's to show this ? thanks Kerry.
Also from the Spares Co and the likes of Conway’s.

kerry

VOC Member
Wow thanks for the replies everyone, I will get some from the spares company, I spent over an hour today watching the online H&H auction, I saw about 30 bikes go through only 2 projects sols and one bike, I hope they feel embarrassed by their silly high estimates, and Mathewsons next month are as silly ? £60,000 for a Knight ? Thanks again on the Grossett info.

kerry

VOC Member
Kerry my handsome, my daughter's Rap (C)has a Grosset and my Rap (B) both with his ignition systems too.
Francois always insists on stopping with ex-lifter & I feel starting with it lifted helps a bit too. I have had a couple of shear pins go, undo the lowest three Allan screws and the starter motor will fall inboard and if the pin has gone the pinion will come off, slip the wire circlip along the shaft and poke out the broken bits plus the motor shaft bit, slide pinion back on fit new pin and slid circlip back along pinion to hold the pin in position.
I have made up a few shares my self as I have a lathe but Francois will certainly supply in between building series "A" Rapide's.
bananaman.
Printed off, thanks Marcus, appreciated.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Kevin my handsome, Alton does not do magneto's, alternators yes & starters for Norton, Vellocett & now Vincent Comets. My (B) Rap had difficulty starting with the electric and tended to start as my finger left the red button, ah Ha voltage drop, got myself a £200 Lithium Iron battery that gives much better CCA (cold cranking amps) now is OK, was considering having a smaller battery for ignition then have a switch to connect to main battery in parallel or operated by a relay so when the red button is pushed relay isolates the batteries so no voltage drop and she will fire up instantly.
Let us all know if it works, please.
bananaman.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Like your idea Marcus, Just as a test, If 12v ??, Why not just connect it to a car battery .
Cheers Bill.