ET: Engine (Twin) Grosset Electric Starter Installation

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I bought a Clarks Type, That revs very high, I recut a Carb' Slide at max !!, And the tool nipped up,
Best not to use too high. Cheers Bill.

Phil Mahood

VOC Hon. Computer Officer
VOC Member
Tim
With all the other makers you get a selection of collets to fit anything up to about 3.5 mm shank size
If anything the copies are now better than Dremel
The most common shank size for all of these tools is 1/8". There are a huge number of 1/8" bits from several makers (including Dremel, of course). Even the air grinders have 1/8" collets. So, you are good with any of them.

Phil Mahood

VOC Hon. Computer Officer
VOC Member
Air powered die grinders are seriously powerful and can remove a lot of material in a flash at 30,000 rpm. The down side is they can be quite difficult to control. The Dremel, and other battery powered tools, have rheostats that can be turned down to a gentle pace. They are much more controllable.

I have both types, plus an angle grinder for large surfaces. Some jobs need the precise touch of a Dremel. Others, brute power. I cannot, for example, imagine porting and polishing a cylinder head with a Dremel. Nor could I cut a fine screw slot with an angle grinder. Different tools for different jobs.

craig

VOC Member
I would like to see some Vincent starter installs that added an ignition switch and start button.
i just need ideas for this switch type, location and such please.
anyone have photos please of their own install or others?
Cheers
Craig

kerry

VOC Member
I recently bought a Prince with the Grosset fitted, works well but I am trying to kick start mostly, however where can I buy a spare shear pin ? and, if required is it easy to fit ? Also, would it not be sensible to use the valve lifter or should I not ? thanks.

greg brillus

VOC Member
It says in the instructions that you may use the valve lifter if you want .........I have had over three different bikes here lately all with completely different types of starter and drive arrangements ........It is my strong opinion that any of the starter options should definitely be started and if possible stopped using the valve lifter, especially for the first start of the day where the crank could be spinning in a bath of cold oil. One of these bikes is a 2015 Godet Egli with the 1330 cc magnesium engine, this has no provision at all for any compression release....... I feel this is a big mistake, as the cranking ratio from the starter to the crank is 5:1 compare that to a starter on a car engine which is about 10 or 12 to 1. This bike will crank reasonably well so long as the throttle is not touched.......If you crack the throttle and hit the starter it sounds like the starter is being hit with a sledge hammer.

kerry

VOC Member
Appreciate your wisdom, and tip on not opening the throttle, truth is I am a bit scared to put a starter motor against all that compression on a Vincent, it starts easily though with a kick or two, stopping on mine is with a car type ignition switch which I assume is OK or should I use the valve lifter ? still need to know where to buy spare shear pins and are they easy to fit, is there any video's to show this ? thanks Kerry.

greg brillus

VOC Member
You should use the valve lifter to stop the engine as well.......When you turn off the ignition you are stopping the spark but the compression of the engine can still cause the engine to turn backward against this compression.........This is not good for the starter. The Grosset starter is held to its modified G 50 plate by three allan head cap screws just under the exhaust pipes to the rear of the kickstart cover. With the starter motor withdrawn slightly inboard and lower it, as it will hang from the main power cable. You can rest this on a block of wood or similar.........The small drive gear on the R H end of the drive shaft is held on by this shear pin you are asking about.......This small pin is stopped from falling out by a ring type circlip that fits into a small radial groove in the drive gear. Once this ring is pried from the groove, the pin (or its remains) can be removed and a new one installed in the reverse order. I know of folk who have made their own from short lengths of the correct sized drill bit with small grooves cut to simulate the original pin........This design acts like a mechanical fuse in the system..........I have not seen one break, but I can see how it could easily happen. The starters do work quite well, but caution should be used with them if you want it to survive.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Kerry my handsome, my daughter's Rap (C)has a Grosset and my Rap (B) both with his ignition systems too.
Francois always insists on stopping with ex-lifter & I feel starting with it lifted helps a bit too. I have had a couple of shear pins go, undo the lowest three Allan screws and the starter motor will fall inboard and if the pin has gone the pinion will come off, slip the wire circlip along the shaft and poke out the broken bits plus the motor shaft bit, slide pinion back on fit new pin and slid circlip back along pinion to hold the pin in position.
I have made up a few shares my self as I have a lathe but Francois will certainly supply in between building series "A" Rapide's.
bananaman.

IMG_2330.jpeg

vibrac

VOC Member
Grosset will mail you the pins
For the last it seems a decade I always pull the clutch in when I switch on a coil ignition system with electric start one backfire to the starter and a pin could be the least of your worries. talk about Russian roulette
Now how do I know that?
1592996246175.png