ET: Engine (Twin) Grosset Electric Starter Installation

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks Phil, I am in the process now of installing a Grosset starter on F10AB/1/323. I ordered the electric starter kit two years ago, set the kit aside, purchased and rode 30,000 miles on modern electric start motorcycles, BMW & Husqvarna.
Now I am back to install this Grosset electric starter kit on this early B Rapide.

So I got to this step of modifying G22 and at first I used the punch technique to modify the G22 and was very unhappy with my resulting work, so I ordered another G22 and cut it off, with a Dremel fitted with a thin cutoff disc, as described and it seems to be fine with a trimmed G52 felt washer. My installation is still in progress.

From your description of crushing G22 successfully, I simply wanted to know the details of your tooling and/or equipment you had used, so I can possibly have an easier time with the next Grosset starter on another twin coming along.

So you placed the G22 between two steel plates and simply crushed the steel cup?
Was there a dimension you were looking for, or maybe trial fitting as you went along?

G22Mod1.jpg

Phil Mahood

VOC Hon. Computer Officer
VOC Member
Thanks Phil, I am in the process now of installing a Grosset starter on F10AB/1/323. I ordered the electric starter kit two years ago, set the kit aside, purchased and rode 30,000 miles on modern electric start motorcycles, BMW & Husqvarna.
Now I am back to install this Grosset electric starter kit on this early B Rapide.

So I got to this step of modifying G22 and at first I used the punch technique to modify the G22 and was very unhappy with my resulting work, so I ordered another G22 and cut it off, with a Dremel fitted with a thin cutoff disc, as described and it seems to be fine with a trimmed G52 felt washer. My installation is still in progress.

From your description of crushing G22 successfully, I simply wanted to know the details of your tooling and/or equipment you had used, so I can possibly have an easier time with the next Grosset starter on another twin coming along.

So you placed the G22 between two steel plates and simply crushed the steel cup?
Was there a dimension you were looking for, or maybe trial fitting as you went along?

View attachment 25255
I am glad to see you provided this diagram from Francois' documents. I was afraid you were trying to do this without the instructions. Step #2 in the instructions cover this topic thoroughly. It says G22 must be reduced by .020". It also says to double check it on the bike. Like almost everything in this installation, the work has to be double checked (cut and try) due to variations in the castings, and parts. Step 2 also says that pressing G22 between 2 steel plates is the preferred method. I used my hydraulic press. When done the outer edge curled over and the centre dished itself up under the stress. I just tapped it down flat with a hammer. Frankly, it makes absolutely no difference how you do it. This is simply not a precision thing. I am also glad you have a Dremel. That tool may be the most useful weapon in a Vincent owner's arsenal. With the appropriate bits, it will bail you out of every sort of jam. Cheers, Phil

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
I already have a lathe, a pillar drill, a milling machine, 2 welders, a compressor, air tools, a big tool cabinet (my retirement present), disc cutters and hand power drills of varying sizes, But I have never had a Dremel.(I cant say I have missed ito_O but if I had one I am sure it would become invaluable:) .... thinks...... drat it! my wife has got me socks and already wrapped them in chrissy paper:(

Albervin

VOC Member
I had a
If you are building up or rebuilding an engine and you are going to install one of these kits, it is worth trimming a small amount off the threaded/splined end of the output shaft G4 ...........Say one of two mm off the end. This will allow more room for the kick start ratchet, and it wont affect much as the shaft usually protrudes past the main shaft nut anyway. If you are not going to run any of the manual kick start parts then this mod is not necessary.
I had a problem with my electric start Shadow last year. The planetary gear stripped then when I tried to kick start the bike the gear slipped on two out of three kicks. Obviously something is not meshing correctly. Any ideas?

Albervin

VOC Member
Tim. a Dremel is forty tools. Just go out there and buy one plus all the little goodies. Double up on some of the accessories too. I reckon £200 should do it.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I've got two of them, one has a tiny cut off disc installed and the other with either a small barrel sander or a tiny machine burr. I use them all the time........ Alyn it sounds like perhaps the small spring that holds the starting pinion into mesh is either badly worn/broken, or the teeth on the ratchet and the pinion are worn. If this happens it can be quite catastrophic to your right lower leg...........

b'knighted

VOC Member
Lidl had a mains equivalent die grinder, 1/4 “ & 1/8” colletts for £20 last week. Should have more power and strength than their Dremel equivalents.

vibrac

VOC Member
Dont they all have different spindle sizes so you can only use dremel bits on dremel drills?
I am always wary of getting into all that missmatching stuff

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Dont they all have different spindle sizes so you can only use dremel bits on dremel drills?
I am always wary of getting into all that missmatching stuff
Tim
With all the other makers you get a selection of collets to fit anything up to about 3.5 mm shank size
If anything the copies are now better than Dremel