DSC01152.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC01153.jpg
    DSC01153.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 62

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Royal Enfield decompressor in the left plug hole, as it's running an original BT-H magneto, single spark ignition.

vibrac

VOC Member
I have always used re decompressors I only wish they were threaded full length being half the length of the spark plug hole there is some carbon build up
however the alternative of loose rollers and knitting needles in the timing case and loss of a 100% oil free backside makes that a minor inconvenience
if it was that bad I suppose it's a just few hours on the lathe to put it right.

Michel

VOC Member
Here are two pictures of the decompressor.

Attachments

• 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    313.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    319.1 KB · Views: 58

vibrac

VOC Member
They are very handy on twins when you can 'tune' them individually to open one valve before the other so you can kick on the correct pot.

Michel

VOC Member
I have to make a correction because my memory is faulty. During the delivery of the bike, François Guerin (Patrick's workshop manager) reminded me that it was not the Swiss Grey Flash that I bought because this guy could not decide. Patrick had kept another boxed for his own collection and decided to sell it to me. In the end, it's this one was rebuilt and put back on the road.

Michel

VOC Member
As you know yet, the late Patrick Godet sold me a splendid Grey Flash replica road version identical to one of the three built in 1950 by Vincent. The bike is equipped with the original carburetor AMAL 10TT9 but it is not suitable for easy use on road or rally. According to opinion from AMAL, I could install a 229F /1DV (that of the Comet) and it seems to me a good idea. The performances of the Grey Flash is different and much better than that of the Comet, it would be possible to change elements of the carburetor such as main jet, needles, jet block, throttle valve or others, I don't know what's the best. What do tou think about this kind of carburetor's modifications ?
I thank you for your advices.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I ran a Velocette Venom years ago on the road with a 10TT9 carb and as far as I can remember the carb was never a problem, even managed to get a tickover. It ran great on that TT carb and its still on, but I have not run the bike for a few years now.
Anybody interested in buying a 1959 Venom in Mk1 clubman trim?

Simon

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
It depends upon the inner diameter of the 10TT9. It is probably 32 mm. The type 229 will be 1.125" (28.5mm). That is really going to choke the poor bike up. If you do not mind it looking too 'modern' then a 32 mm Mikuni could be the answer.