Misc: Everything Else Grey Flash Replica

Michel

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi everybody,
As you know, from 1949 to 1950 in seven months, Vincent HRD manufactured and sold 31 Grey Flash. 3 equipped for the road and the other 28 for the track. Of the 3 "roads", 2 were reconfigured for the track. There was one left that Patrick Godet found in Belgium. The motorcycle has been restored (or is in the process of being restored) and sold to a French citizen living in Florida. At the beginning of the 1980s, Patrick made 7 replicas of Grey Flash and he had returned a spare one. He had to restore it for a Swiss member of the club who gave up the idea. In early 2018, I found an agreement with Patrick to complete the project and rebuild the bike copied to the original still in the workshop. My Grey Flash is almost finished and will be delivered late February early March for the season.

I am impatient.

vibrac

VOC Member
I keep thinking about putting my Flash replica on the road more, it is registered it has a road kit quickly fitted of a rear number plate/reflector and bulb horn ( it has a bicycle speedo and a restricted 105Db race silencer already fitted) and I do take it out on circular runs with a roller starter at home and a good wife and van on the mobile. Otherwise I use it in parades and runs like KOP hill
I have a number of fifties Albion boxes with kick starts I suppose its just a case of fitting all the kickstart gubbins and a road front cover and hoping it misses the correct reset gearchange I would not worry about lights
Hmmm another job on the list I already have an Egli Comet to run in. here it is in road trim a year or so ago

timetraveller

VOC Member
I think that latterly Patrick was using one of the JE steering heads. They are available in aluminium and soon to be available is an aluminium copy of the whole steering head that bolts into the oil tank. Available with taper roller head races fitted if you wish.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Not yet. The castings are finished and heat treated (LM25) and are waiting to be machined. The alloy JE steering heads are well tested as there are about ten out there. We used my original steering head castings, one for the older split bottom end and one for the later solid bottom end. These were suitably thickened up and coated to allow for casting shrinkage and the fact that ali was to be used rather than steel or cast iron. They will look very similar to the originals when finished. The ali JE steering head save about 2 lbs/1 kg in weight when compared to a steel one so the new heads will save a lot more. I will post something when we have one, or a pair, finished.

davidd

VOC Member
I think that latterly Patrick was using one of the JE steering heads.

Norman,

Because I was involved with the steering stems that Patrick used I started a new post on his stems.

David

Michel

VOC Member
A visit to Patrick's workshop. The seven first pictures are those of the last Grey Flash configutation route from 1950. On the eighth picture, the two motorcycle side by side: on the left the Godet's replica from 1980, on the right the original which used as model. The Godet's replica is now in my garage (others pictures later).

Attachments

• DSC01133.JPG
    DSC01133.JPG
    421.2 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC01134.JPG
    DSC01134.JPG
    418.6 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC01135.JPG
    DSC01135.JPG
    411.1 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC01136.JPG
    DSC01136.JPG
    402.7 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC01137.JPG
    DSC01137.JPG
    288 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC01138.JPG
    DSC01138.JPG
    323.7 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC01139.JPG
    DSC01139.JPG
    365.9 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC01140.JPG
    DSC01140.JPG
    327.9 KB · Views: 81

vibrac

VOC Member
A few detailed pictures with kickstart fitted and closeup without would help me if I want to ride my Flash to a VOC Rally rather than just ride it on the track or circular road runs starting and finishing by my rollers:D. My box is a pure racing box without a kick start cover but I have plenty of contemporary road covers and some varied kick start cranks (ugly beasts that they are)