Grey Flash For Sale

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
How can you say that - the seller says "100% original, never restored, very rare and can be unique. ", and he only wants £85,000 for it

Well, one out of four is not bad.

As a Flash owner I would like to think of the price as a good place to start.

David

Albervin

VOC Member
Interesting specification. I wonder how much it cost when new? Considering it had a 7.3:1 compression ratio the owner was paying a lot of extra cash (over a Comet) for not a lot of extra power.

davidd

VOC Member
Interesting specification. I wonder how much it cost when new? Considering it had a 7.3:1 compression ratio the owner was paying a lot of extra cash (over a Comet) for not a lot of extra power.

I have the prices in my notes, but I was unable to locate them. As I remember the Flash cost just shy of a Rapide. It certainly was expensive and I am sure that this is one of the reasons why the Flash had only an 8 month production run compared to the Lightning's 6 plus year run. It should be noted that there were several soft Lightnings that sold as well, so it could be argued that those owners or road going Lightnings were in the same spot as well. There were only two Flashes noted as "road models" so the vast majority were used for racing which was consistent with the Factory's original intent.

David

piggywig

Non-VOC Member
(p.181)

1950: Rapide £323.17s.0d.
Black Shadow: £375.18s.5d
Black Lightning: £501.13s.0d.
Comet: £241.6s.0d…… (500c.c.)
Grey In the "Vincent Vee-Twins" book by Roy Harper they give the following prices Flash: £330.4s.0d…….. (500c.c).

1954: Black Prince £378.0s.0d
Black Knight: £348.0s.0d
Victor: £274.16s.0d

1955: Rapide £325.0s.0d
Black Shadow £355.0s.0d

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Its a sad fact that there are people out there to whom 85,000 pounds is small change. I would surmise that they may have a few other Vincent HRDs' so a Flash presents itself and they grab it. It will now most likely languish in a private museum or "flash" (sorry) garage somewhere.