Great Photo

G

Graham Smith

Anyone know the model?

5F09BDAE-4F7D-4DF0-BB33-6BE5939DAADE.jpeg

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I'm going to guess that this is one of the hrds fitted with a Rudge Python engine.
In " Chasing Shadows" a factory worker, who was there in the 1920s, mentioned most early bikes had J.A.P. engines and a few had Rudge Python.
The twin exhaust seems right for Rudge.

Glen

Nulli Secundus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I'm going to guess that this is one of the hrds fitted with a Rudge Python engine.
In " Chasing Shadows" a factory worker, who was there in the 1920s, mentioned most early bikes had J.A.P. engines and a few had Rudge Python.
The twin exhaust seems right for Rudge.

Glen
As a Rudge fan I would say that it does not look like a Rudge Python engine at all. The barrel looks to tall and it appears to have through bolts from head to barrel. Rudges with splayed exhaust ports tend to have round flanged barrels and not square.

JAP made many twin port engines, as did many other manufacturers. With the two valvers it was a fashion thing.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Graham
I don't know which model it is exactly but I think its a proper Wolverhampton HRD and not one of those badge engineered Stevenage HRD's. Looks very much like what Chris has posted above.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Graham
If you have access to it look up pg 31 in HRD Motorcycles "Produced by a Rider" by Geoff Preece. I will email you a copy of that page.
That very same photo is on that page and it says the rider is G.W.Bagshawe at the Inter Varsity Hill Climb and he was in the Oxford team. The event was held on the 28th Feb 1925.
Bagshaw's HRD was 344cc machine.
Not long after he advertised the machine for sale as Feb 1925 HRD specially tuned 2-3/4 HP 2 port JAP engine. Asking price £100.