grease (not the musical)

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have to get some grease for my rebuilt 1926 EW Douglas Gearbox while I am at it I suppose I had better include some for the Burman (Yes Norton and Albion have not supplanted them all I still have one in use! :p) since that box is almost as old in design as the Douglas I guess they will take the same diet
I usually add a bit of EP90 to the brew to soak up the sleeve gears a bit on the Burman but its an age since I bought any grease. I am recommended Castrol spheerol whats your take on Grease for this gearbox application (and no I am not about to add a plethora of oil seals been there done that:))

craig

VOC Member
I have used a Castrol product for Vincent Burman gearboxes, i was pursuing pourable grease and find this Castrol product great, 3000 miles so far!
Product Number: 56137
Product Name: HD Lithium EP #000
Product Description: Castrol HD Lithium is a smooth, dark amber colored, lithium 12-hydroxy stearate grease formulated in NLGI 00 and 000 consistencies.<br><br> Castrol HD Lithium 000 Grease is intended for service where an NLGI 00 grade lithium grease is required./
my contact email was -
Thank you for your request. For pails of the Castrol HD Lithium EP #000 are $91.67 a pail. If you are interested in placing an order please let me know. Thank you.
Have a Good Day,
Kirsten Yeager
Parent Petroleum
37W370 Route 38
St, Charles, IL 60175
(630) 584-2505
www.parentpetroleum.com

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Resistance to Water
◦ Synthetic grease is more likely to withstand the effects of heavy rain and other high water events. Synthetic grease does not wash out or emulsify the way petroleum grease can.

Ability to Withstand Heat
◦ Most synthetic greases can withstand temperatures of at least 300 degrees Fahrenheit before "melting" and running out, compared to about 240 F for petroleum grease. This makes synthetic grease especially valuable for lubricating brakes, non-drive wheel bearings, differentials and transmissions.

◦ 

Ability to Withstand Pressure
◦ Conventional petroleum grease can withstand approximately 700 pounds per square inch (psi) of pressure before the grease film is ruptured, and there is metal on metal contact. Synthetic oil can withstand 3,000 psi before failing.

Resistance to Rust and Corrosion
◦ The rust- and corrosion-resistant properties of synthetic oil provide better protection and longer life to bearings and chassis lube points.

Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease
High performance automotive grease
Product Description
Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease is an NLGI No 2 high-performance automotive grease which combines a synthetic base fluid with a lithium complex soap thickener. The thickener system provides a high dropping point, while additives impart optimum extreme-pressure properties and excellent resistance to water wash, and outstanding protection against rust and corrosion. Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease has excellent structural stability. The synthetic base oil used in Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease gives it excellent performance properties at both high and low temperatures. High structural shear stability coupled with a high performance base oil make Mobil 1 Synthetic an outstanding automotive grease.

Features and Benefits
Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease provides the following advantages and benefits:

Features Advantages and Potential Benefits
All-purpose automotive service Certified to the NLGI GC-LB specifications for both chassis and wheel bearing lubrication
Wide Operating range -40 C (- 40 F) to 150 C (302 F)
Excellent resistance to rust and corrosion Longer life of bearings and chassis lube points
Outstanding structural stability Ability to provide effective lubrication over extended periods of time
Excellent wear protection under heavy loads Provides bearing protection while cornering and other conditions where bearings temporarily experience heavy loads.
Excellent resistance to water wash Withstands the effects of water washout from heavy rain storms or other high water wash events.

Applications
Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease meets the requirements of the National Lubricating Grease institute (NLGI) performance classification GC-LB. It is recommended for automotive applications at both high and low temperatures. It is particularly suited for applications such as disc brake wheel bearings and ball and steering joints. It will provide outstanding bearing protection under heavy loads at any highway speed, and where moisture or condensation is a factor.

Specification and Approvals
Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease has the following qualifications
NLGI GC-LB 2

Typical Properties
Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease
Product Number 53201-0
NLGI Grade 2
Soap Type Lithium Complex
Structure Smooth; Slight Tack
Color Red
Penetration, ASTM D 217
Worked x 60 strokes 280
Worked x 10,000 strokes 295
Worked x 100,000 strokes 305
Dropping Point, ºC (ºF) 288 (550)
Viscosity of Oil, ASTM D 445
cSt at 40ºC 220
cSt at 100ºC 23.8
ISO Viscosity Grade 220
Timken OK Load, ASTM D 2509, lb 45
Four-Ball Wear Test, ASTM D 2266, scar Diam, mm 0.40
Four-Ball EP, ASTM D 2596, Weld Load, kg 250
Four-Ball EP, Load Wear Index 45
Corrosion Prevention, ASTM D 1743 Pass
Emcor/SKF Water Wash Test, IP 220 (modified) 0.0
Water Washout, ASTM D 1264, 79ºC (175ºF), wt % 6

Health and Safety
Based on available information, this product is not expected to produce adverse effects on health when used for the intended application and the recommendations provided in the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) are followed. MSDS's are available upon request through your sales contract office, or via the Internet. This product should not be used for purposes other than its intended use. If disposing of used product, take care to protect the environment.

The Mobil logotype, the Pegasus design and Mobil 1 are trademarks of Exxon Mobil Corporation, or one of its subsidiaries.

Exxon Mobil Corporation
3225 Gallows Road
Fairfax, VA 22037

1-800-ASK MOBIL (275-6624)

Typical Properties are typical of those obtained with normal production tolerance and do not constitute a specification. Variations that do not affect product performance are to be expected during normal manufacture and at different blending locations. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. All products may not be available locally. For more information, contact your local ExxonMobil contact or visit www.exxonmobil.com
ExxonMobil is comprised of numerous affiliates and subsidiaries, many with names that include Esso, Mobil, or ExxonMobil. Nothing in this document is intended to override or supersede the corporate separateness of local entities. Responsibility for local action and accountability remains with the local ExxonMobil-affiliate entities.

Copyright © 2001-2012 Exxon Mobil Corporation. All rights reserved..

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
PENRITE SEMI FLUID GREASE
Codes: SEMI00045, SEMI020
Issue: October 2011
Penrite Semi Fluid Grease is an extreme pressure, NLGI 00, lithium soap thickened grease, blended using extreme pressure additives, anti-wear, rust and oxidation inhibitors.
Application
Penrite Semi Fluid Grease may used in the following applications:

Trailer bearing hubs where heavy oils are specified and leakage is a problem
Chain cases
low speed industrial gear boxes where AGMA 7EP (ISO 460 and above) or heavier oils are specified
Leaky gear boxes
Reduction gear boxes in slasher mowers
Track rollers in earthmoving equipment.
Centralised lubrication systems that require fluid (or “liquid”) type greases
Burman motorcycle gear boxes
Normal operating temperature range is from -20oC - 130oC

Customer Benefits
Extends bearing and gear life by minimising wear and shock loads
Does not splash so maximises lubrication efficiency
Resists leakage even under heavily loaded conditions
Resists squeeze outGood low and high temperature fluidity
Protects against rust and corrosion
Good water resistance
Lead and Chlorine free

Typical Data

Soap Type Lithium

NLGI 00

Drop Point, °C 170

Four Ball Weld Load, kg 250

Timken OK Load, kg 18

Copper Corrosion 1a

Colour Light Brown

vibrac

VOC Member
Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease is an NLGI No 2 high-performance automotive grease which combines a synthetic base fluid with a lithium complex soap thickener. The thickener system provides a high dropping point, ..

While that looks like a good high temp grease the sort I would put in wheel bearings 'high dropping point' worries me since gearbox grease should flow more easily at lower temperatures it should self level in a minute or so. Having said that I will get a tub of Mobile 1 when I need some more HT grease and try it.

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
I think I used Penrite, I got it from the Classic oil company, which is based locally, if you need more details let me know and I will find a phone number.