Gloves G

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Gloves:
After many many long distance trials
When its wet there is only one solution found on every petrol station forecourt the diesel plastic throw away gloves they dont stop your hands getting slightly wet but at least your sweat is warm

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
The petrol forecourt gloves trick did not work that well for me, last year we were riding the Holystone-Blindburn military road, interesting track on a twin, not quite as challenging as Stephen Campbell's Glen Loth recommendation, but still interesting, going on challenging. We got caught out in a downpour when the weather changed from glorious clear blue sky to fairly heavy rain, with no available shelter we stopped on the muddy verge to put on our over suits, getting pretty wet in the process, I then found it pretty near impossible to pull my now wet gloves onto my very wet cold hands, but then I remembered the petrol forecourt gloves in the panniers, great, my gloves slipped on a treat, but then my hands stayed freezing bloody cold for the 50 mile ride back to our rental cottage at Alnwick.

That being said, the discomfort was well worth it, a great motorcycling area of the UK.

Albervin

VOC Member
When I was teaching motorcycle riding I had a special set of gloves I used for torrential rain on the training circuit. Skin diving gloves!! Sure you get wet hands but they stay warm and you maintain a good feel of the controls. As I said earlier, a pair of HELD Two-inOne works for me on the road.

Russell Kemp

VOC Member
Goretex gear is good at keeping you dry but not warm. Even in Wales during the summer I use heated grips, heated gloves and a heated jacket liner. Ask the dealer you are renting the bike from to fit heated grips, you will need them and I am sure they will be happy to do this.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Goretex gear is good at keeping you dry but not warm. Even in Wales during the summer I use heated grips, heated gloves and a heated jacket liner. Ask the dealer you are renting the bike from to fit heated grips, you will need them and I am sure they will be happy to do this.
I use heated gloves and find them the best option for me. Not as convenient as heated grips because of the wires. (Unless you have the type that have their own battery.) A combination of heated gloves and heated grips would cover all the bases.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Heated gear works very well to extend the riding season at both ends.
In BC get we some huge temp variations due to altitude changes on most rides. It sure is nice to have the heated vest and heated gloves when the cold is encountered on those high Mountain passes.
I get about six hours of warmth from my lithium battery type gloves.

Glen