Gloves G

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I particularly like Rukka Mars gloves, I am not sure if they are a true summer glove, but I use them all year round in the UK, but that is excluding the months between November to March approx, because I don’t tend to ride during those months, give or take the unseasonably warm days you get occasionally.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
If the weather is kind you are in for a treat, but at that time of year I would definitely err on the side of a warmer glove, that is unless you are riding a bike with heated grips, if not I would definitely recommend you take a look at Rukka Mars, an excellent all round glove, The far north of Scotland can still be pretty chilly at that time of year.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Yes, fairy extensively, historically I have usually chosen late April and the first week in May in an attempt to beat the midge hatching season. Mostly on the West Coast and extensively on Skye where I once lived and worked briefly, and of course last years Far Far North Rally where we rode a fair bit of the NC500, if you want to test man and and machine try the Glen Loth road, road being a very flattering description, of course also do the Applecross Pass and then reward yourself in the Applecross Inn.

I love riding the loop above Ullapool, riding past Stac Polliagh (worth a climb to the top on a good day) onwards to Achiltibue and Polbain, then take the coast road to Lochinver and go to the world famous pie shop, then staying coastal where possible go to the fantastic ShoreHouse sea food restaurant at Tarbet, ride a dead end road to Achmelvich beach, one of nicest that you will see anywhere in the world, if you are tempted to swim, be warned, its bloody cold, especially in late April-early May, but there are some hardy buggers in this club, Phil Hogg goes in come what may, sans wet suit!.
Speaking personally I would not get to hung up on just doing the NC500, across the top is fine and down the West Coast is also, but at times it is a bit M25ish but with far nicer scenery, I would deviate off of where possible and explore, especially on the West coast, take the road to Diabeg harbour for solitude.
Let me know if you want any more info and I will get my map book out and refresh my memory a bit more, one word of warning, up top on the NC500 around Bettyhill the road road verges are broken up badly, one our members, Bill Hedley moved over to the left a bit to much to accommodate oncoming traffic, got onto the rough stuff and had to airlifted to Inverness Hospital with busted ribs etc. An easy mistake to make in a couple of seconds that can cost you dear.

Last edited:

Russell Kemp

VOC Member
Hi Bob, last May I went up to Scotland for a few days. My first stop was in Oban and on the drive up from Wales (I was in the car) I had the air con on all the way. For the next four days it rained. Going from Fort William to Skye the heater was on just to keep the screen clear. The last day from Fort William to home the air con was back on. Now if I had been on the bike (heated grips & hand guards) I would have taken two pairs of leather summer gloves and two pairs of winter gloves, I would also have taken my heated gloves that plug in to my heated jacket. If I pop out for a Sunday ride in Wales I will take a pair of summer and a pair of winter gloves as like Scotland you can set off in the dry and get rained on on the way home.

Russ

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I am not familiar with your riding gear, but I would say it would be fine, more than adequate, I ride with a textile BKS suit with lining, and just normal gear under that, the temps I ride in are generally a little higher than 10c but I will do it if needs must, I also carry a pull on wet over suit, but only use when it’s wet, but that does give extra warmth. The thing is I now transport my bike to places in a van, if the weather is awful I simply don’t go out on it, I try to find a decent pub, cafe, hotel bar, restaurant and go in the van, in the hope that tomorrow will be a better motorcycling day, my masochistic days are behind me, but up there, if the sky is blue, and there is hint of warmth, then you are in heaven.
I would like to se your previous itinerary, on this forum or personal message would be fine. It is a pity you will not be joining us this year for the Far Far North Rally, did you not consider it?

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Is your NC500 holiday with a tour guide with set distances and destinations per day, a good friend did one of those tours last year, his preferred steed is a Honda NC30, but his hire bike was a BMW GS, I think he found it a bit of a handful, heavy and tall etc. I would not really want to do that, you simply miss out on to much if can’t follow your inquisitive nose.

Last edited:

Alyson

VOC Member
Mine are BMW branded. Nothing heated except the grips on my '81 R100CS They do make nice cold weather clothing.

Albervin

VOC Member
HELD make a great two pocket glove; one pocket is a Summer weight and the other pocket is Goretex. They make gloves for BMW as well.